"tanto" tip usefulness

Knife nuts here have often debated the utility of a tanto shape. You get two points, can use a chisel motion, etc. Could you please expound the Strider knives thoughts behind the utility of the tanto point (like your WB model) versus a more traditional "bowie" style (your model MT foe example) Thanks!!!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Tanto tips...tanto tips...tanto tips...
Im glad you remembered to ask this one. I always forget about it.

Here's the deal. Tantos, when properly executed, have tremendous strength and penetration properties. Most people can figure that one out. Use it as a chisel, people have that one down as well. Here's a few more:

Improved angle of cut. Say you are in a situation where you are forced to defend yourself. And lets just say for the record that your not a knife Guru of any kind. A tanto tip, the tangent angle of the two grinds to be specific, is an exceptional sweet spot. The slashing penetration is magnificent. Hold a tanto out in a "Im gonna slash you" attitude. Note the way the primary and secondary edges form a little triangle of death. Therefor we have improved "stressed" cutting dynamics.

Use that same "sweet spot" as a utility edge. Again, take the tangent of the two grinds, (the point of the triangle), and use it to cut something. Example: Take a piece of paper and lay it on a hard surface. Don't use your nice desk because it wont be nice when your finished. Take your tanto "sweet spot" and run it along the paper. Cuts nice huh.

Now take it out to your driveway and pound it into the tarmac with a sledge hammer. When you get it out, note that the tip is still useful. Maybe a bit rolled over, but unbroken. (This one isn't a requirement).

We'll talk more on this...

Carpe Diem

Mick

Thanks Mick! By the way, you sure can tell that you have done a bit of soldiering in your day!! Your references to a tanto top as, "...a triangle of death", and your 1911 as, "...a chunk of death" give me the same vibe my Tae-Kwon Do instructor used to give me (he was in the SAS)! Entertaining, but quite informative!

I'm off to think of more questions!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Kool info
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Always wondered why other than the standard answers the Tanto tip is such a popular blade design.

------------------
SAS RKBA freedom Scottsbluff Cowboy Shooters Cheyenne Regulators

Back