Question Tapatalk

With an iPhone, you can set up Bladeforums as a home screen app.
1. Google Bladeforums
2. Open in Safari
3. Hit the square box with arrow
4. Add BF to home screen.

*Bottom right Icon*

View attachment 701900

I have no clue how other phones work.

Wait, what? Tapatalk isn't even installed on the forums, it shouldn't be hijacking your phone browser.
I think what's probably happening is that if you had Tapatalk installed and used it to access BladeForums, it was set as the default application for bladeforums link on your phone. So it has nothing to do with how it's set up on the forum end. Obviously uninstalling Tapatalk fixes this, but I think you should be able to fix it by changing those default settings (probably buried deep in some menu). That being said this doesn't happen to me on Android, though I don't remember how I configured the default link handling.

EDIT: I actually just checked and what I said earlier is not completely true. First, it does redirect me to the Tapatalk app when I actually open a subforum, which ends up opening it in a browser window within Tapatalk. Second, I looked through the settings, and it appears that the setting is that Tapatalk opens all "supported links" in the app (which you can change to make it ask you first, or not do it at all). However, this list of supported links appears to be hardcoded into the app somehow, so it does seem to be something that the forum admins should take up with the Tapatalk people. My guess is that it may not be resolvable until they update the app next, but not sure how this is handled in the backend.

Also just want to say that while I understand the reasons for disabling Tapatalk (and I noticed the spam), without push notifications for the app I don't visit the forums at all, as they let me know if anything interesting has come up without me spending time checking. Otherwise I usually forget it's a thing, especially b/c I'm not chasing anything on the Exchange. Bit of a bummer.

Last edited:
EDIT: I actually just checked and what I said earlier is not completely true. First, it does redirect me to the Tapatalk app when I actually open a subforum, which ends up opening it in a browser window within Tapatalk. Second, I looked through the settings, and it appears that the setting is that Tapatalk opens all "supported links" in the app (which you can change to make it ask you first, or not do it at all). However, this list of supported links appears to be hardcoded into the app somehow, so it does seem to be something that the forum admins should take up with the Tapatalk people. My guess is that it may not be resolvable until they update the app next, but not sure how this is handled in the backend.

Also just want to say that while I understand the reasons for disabling Tapatalk (and I noticed the spam), without push notifications for the app I don't visit the forums at all, as they let me know if anything interesting has come up without me spending time checking. Otherwise I usually forget it's a thing, especially b/c I'm not chasing anything on the Exchange. Bit of a bummer.

Thanks for doing the research, as well as your commentary.

I actually *am* chasing something on the exchange. Without the push notifications, it's difficult to keep tabs on the subforum. I also agree about not visiting the forum as frequently anymore. Ultimately, I think the lack of native mobile app support will hurt the levels of participation in the forum.

On another note, does anyone know of any other mobile apps besides Tapatalk that browse forums?

I realllllly wish spark would add the tapatalk function soon. I havent logged into BFS since it was down. Cannot view the full webstie version on phone too much to download and cant be notified about items i am selling or any new notification from the exchange that i wanna buy. :(

I realllllly wish spark would add the tapatalk function soon. I havent logged into BFS since it was down. Cannot view the full webstie version on phone too much to download and cant be notified about items i am selling or any new notification from the exchange that i wanna buy. :(

Have you tried it on your phone? I don't see how it would be much more data than what tapatalk downloads. The browser will cache all the style stuff so it just has to download the content.

Also the alerts (while not a phone notification) will tell you what you need to look at. Log into the site and see them. Or setup email alerts for the threads you're watching, they're instantaneous with the new software.

Or setup email alerts for the threads you're watching, they're instantaneous with the new software.
Email alerts & notifications have been hit and miss for me. I know there are lots of variables in play that could be responsible. IMO Taptalk notifications were more reliable and easier to navigate on iOS.

My time on the forum is down a bit now (probably a good thing--LOL!) and I'd be interested to know if traffic in gneral is down on the Exchange and elsewhere. XenForo is a definate improvement from a browser perspective. But as good as it is, I don't find user experience as enjoyable as I did with TT. Reading through this thread, sounds like they may have kinda been bastids' though.

20170417_225631.jpg20170426_092252.jpg I signed into my internet browser uploaded both of these photos from my cell phone easily.
Although many of the functions are hard to utilize on this small screen.

I have also rarely used the site after taptalk stopped working. It is a real shame. I was in the fourms every day on my train ride in and out of work.

It always amazes me that when forum owners announce they're dropping Tapatalk (and many are) because of security and privacy concerns that users will still complain that it's gone because of how convenient it was.
I use Tapatalk as well and it's centralized nature for all of the forums is very nice, especially considering the standardized navigation across different forums. My presence has been non existent here as well since the switch. I just came back hoping there might have finally been a fix. I get that there were some security concerns for some people, but as far as you not getting it, all I can say is that all of the time I have been using Tapatalk with all of the other forums I have never encountered a security concern. To each his own, but I guess the biggest issue that I have is that I considered the Tapatalk option a feature. A feature that I expected when I paid for my membership and it was simply just removed. That being said this site is a big improvement over the last mobile based version of the site, so there is that. Fingers crossed! Thank you for all your hard work!

Bumping this to see if anyone has other ways to get push notifications of the exchange/other boards

On my device, upper right, immediately above the the stickies (subforums), there is a [WATCH FORUM] button. Hit the button then request email notification.

Then set up your email app to send you alerts.

That’s the best I’ve been able to do. Goodluck [unless you’re looking for the same knife I am...in which case you should ignore everything I just said.]. ;)

Never used tappytalky myself. The web and iPad work great. Many posts.

Yeah BF is a kind of not fun since you cant talk live with someone to make a deal... I missed out on a solid trade today because dealing with BF from a Mobile phone is a PITA... Guess it wasnt meant to be... Back to FB and IG I go...

Not sure what you mean about "talk live" - we've never offered a chat service. If you need "live" chatting you on your mobile, can't you trade numbers and text?

Sorry to bring back this again. New on the forum, still not Tapatalk, right? Now from Chrome on my mobile, no problems anyway but it's going to be difficult to follow up threads.

Same here, I ditched forums a long time ago thanks to tapatalk. I understand Spark Spark concerns, but I don't know any good alternatives to browse BForums. Shame cause there's a lot of quality content here.

Back