Tapered, filedworked tang, matching sheath

Here's one I just finished up for a customer. I've never seen someone grin like this guy when I handed him his new knife.

It's an O-1 blade, mirror polished with stainless guard and pin/tubes. The blade was ground from 5/32 stock, tang tapered to a 1/16" and fully fileworked with a vine-style pattern. The handle is AAA grade curly maple and the sheath is carved with a vine design. His left arm was balding quickly when he left. =)

A little heads up, too... another one is in the works with slightly different filework, ironwood, and mosaic pins. It will go up for sale on BF in about a week...

Thanks for looking! Let me know what you think.
Patrick

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Beautiful work. There is just something about a custom knife. I would love to have one of your eventually. Nice nice work.

Very nice looking package Patrick. I like the fact that your making sheaths to fit whatever concept you have in the knife. Vine filework/carved vine on the sheath.
Keep it up Patrick. Oh, btw, your photos are also looking really good.

Good job Patrick, great looking cutting unit.
Watch out, the steel will become your mistress.

John

We - steel and I - have reached an agreement. There will hopefully be a few more of my knives up here before a necessary hiatus from knifemaking.

Thanks
Patrick

I hope i can make such beautiful knives one day.. When i sell a knife, people smile cause they are thinking of ways to try and break it. Awesome!!

Steven P, I used a mixture of chromium trioxide and water to get the color and grain definition, then, after 1000 grit sanding to improve color contrast further, I used Birchwood Casey's sealer and filler, then a couple of coats of Tru-Oil. Light buffing to get the gloss, then they're done. I hope this helps.

Back