Photos Targets of opportunity

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
I recently started throwing sharp objects again.

I threw lots when I was a kid. My parents actually let me throw a full-sized double-bit axe (along with knives, stars, fist-sized rocks from slings, etc.) around the backyard when I was probably 10! šŸ˜¬

Anyway, Iā€™m better at it now. Iā€™ve played around with my Cold Steel Frontier Hawk and my on-duty boot knife, which is the first knife I forged (5160, ~56 RC).

I started off on a board up against a building, but that got boring so now I mostly look for ā€œtargets of opportunityā€ and throw my knife without measuring distance. Iā€™m just throwing with a single spin. Iā€™ve tried ā€œno spin/combatā€ throwing with no luck.

Iā€™m interested to see/hear about your targets (especially targets of opportunity) and your throwing experiences/knivesā€¦

(Mods - please donā€™t move this to Practical Tactical, as this is neither). ;)
5F0BC11D-F18B-4252-8D8E-A2D59FAF0573.jpegDF0B2850-A095-42CA-BFFA-9BA5E442DE26.jpegD4182219-B159-4895-AB35-C592B55E23AE.jpeg234DF716-ECA0-4D47-BFB7-DD44CF19512B.jpeg12444466-9A16-4E02-BA60-6349921A9388.jpeg5632E2AD-E594-4DFE-AB1F-F17701BF2B23.jpegE979D5D8-754E-46A3-BD6A-6A6250D13AF0.jpeg
33B740A3-2EA3-42DF-A893-76613FCFFDF9.jpeg
B5A816EF-2331-48AF-BCC3-DBD4B27BBF27.jpegA606B955-CFCB-47B3-8CB1-B6FF134FF450.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently started throwing sharp objects again.

I threw lots when I was a kid. My parents actually let me throw a full-sized double-bit axe (along with knives, stars, fist-sized rocks from slings, etc.) around the backyard when I was probably 10! šŸ˜¬

Anyway, Iā€™m better at it now. Iā€™ve played around with my Cold Steel Frontier Hawk and my on-duty boot knife, which is the first knife I forged (5160, ~56 RC).

I started off on a board up against a building, but that got boring so now I mostly look for ā€œtargets of opportunityā€ and throw my knife without measuring distance. Iā€™m just throwing with a single spin. Iā€™ve tried ā€œno spin/combatā€ throwing with no luck.

Iā€™m interested to see/hear about your targets (especially targets of opportunity) and your throwing experiences/knivesā€¦

(Mods - please donā€™t move this to Practical Tactical, as this is neither). ;)
View attachment 1740714View attachment 1740715View attachment 1740716View attachment 1740717View attachment 1740718View attachment 1740719View attachment 1740720
View attachment 1740724
View attachment 1740721View attachment 1740723
For anyone interested in throwing , lots of good info here : https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/throwing-knives-knife-throwing.722/

I donā€™t throw the knives Iā€™ve made, but I think itā€™s cool that you do. Nice.

Parker

Holy cow! I had no idea that throwing forum existed!

Thanks for the link D DocJD !

(Mods - feel free to move this post to throwing knives and knife throwing - itā€™s both of those!) ;)

Holy cow! I had no idea that throwing forum existed!

Thanks for the link D DocJD !

(Mods - feel free to move this post to throwing knives and knife throwing - itā€™s both of those!) ;)
I see you have been moved ! :)

Not a lot of traffic on this forum , but lots of good stuff if you dig around into old threads .

I still throw sometimes and am currently rebuilding my target set up because it was so damaged over 40yrs of use .

Huge gaping holes , that knives could pass right thru ! :p

I need a dedicated target , because I'm not a precision thrower .

I hate losing my stuff , or wasting time searching .

Plus , I throw some heavier weapons ( spears , axes , etc. ) that I need backstopped safely .

The wife gets upset when I bounce sharp objects off the propane tank ! :eek:

I see you have been moved ! :)

Not a lot of traffic on this forum , but lots of good stuff if you dig around into old threads .

I still throw sometimes and am currently rebuilding my target set up because it was so damaged over 40yrs of use .

Huge gaping holes , that knives could pass right thru ! :p

I need a dedicated target , because I'm not a precision thrower .

I hate losing my stuff , or wasting time searching .

Plus , I throw some heavier weapons ( spears , axes , etc. ) that I need backstopped safely .

The wife gets upset when I bounce sharp objects off the propane tank ! :eek:
Yeah Iā€™m looking forward to digging around in this forum. I trnd to just pay attention to my ā€œwatched forumsā€ so while Iā€™m sure I saw the throwing forum in the past I wasnā€™t really interested at the time and just forgot about it.

Do you throw knives with a spin or no spin??

Spears are definitely "no spin" .

Star type shuriken , spin fast .

Knives and most other stuff , kind of a hybrid slow spin, is close as I come to no spin .

Old pic of my archery and throwing range . Old wood shed .

Yeah Iā€™m looking forward to digging around in this forum. I trnd to just pay attention to my ā€œwatched forumsā€ so while Iā€™m sure I saw the throwing forum in the past I wasnā€™t really interested at the time and just forgot about it.

Do you throw knives with a spin or no spin??

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place ? But if you make throwing knives you can make all you want free. Bed frames are about .50 carbon and most will be over 60 R C when quenched in oil. The tests were done by others so I am only passing on what I have read. Treat the bedframe steel like 1075 and see how you like it. Or If you are not a knife maker but would like to try, you could cut the knife out of bedframe with a angle grinder and finish with a file. You could use the bedframe steel as is but you need the angle grinder to cut it. Most of them are to hard to cut with a hack saw. Have fun.

Back