Tarp Setup

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by HornyToad, Feb 21, 2011.

1. HornyToad

HornyToad

May 2, 2008
    A recent post discussed cordage used for tarp support. I decided to show how I setup my tarp. You can always find a tree with suitable ground site, but rarely two trees are optimally positioned at that site. I use a hiking pole for the other end.

[​IMG]

The ridge line runs from tree to the pole. The line has a loop on one end for the pole and is precut to a reasonable length to tie to the tree. The tarp (8x10) has a loop at the pole end and a slider knot tied to the ridge line at the other end.

[​IMG]

Notice that there are two forward guy lines from the hiking pole. It is actually a precut line with a loop on each end and in the middle. This is staked out at about a 45 degree angle. This makes the ridge line pretty tight. On these two lines I have a clip I got at Going Gear that I pull down on these two lines to really get it tight. This is the same principle that a split backstay on a sailboat tightens the rig.

[​IMG]

Now if the ridge line stretches in the rain, just reach out and pull the clip down to re-tighten. No need to get out in the rain to adjust things.

2. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Moderator Moderator

Jan 28, 2005
    That clip is a very good idea. :thumbup:

3. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    Love it! great idea. Don't forget siberian hitch!

4. Pritch

Pritch

May 3, 2006
    Nice! Now just hang a weight on it and it will be self-tightening.

5. HornyToad

HornyToad

May 2, 2008
    I thought someone would speculate that the clip would slide up the lines on its own. Adding some weight would prevent this or instead of the ring, use a prusik knot on one line with a clip to the other. Now it would definitely stay put, up or down.

6. HandofCod

HandofCod

Feb 27, 2010
    Great work! How much does that rig weigh, excluding the hiking poles?

7. jw2n

jw2n

Sep 22, 2009
    Just make sure to loosen the lines as they dry. I have seen tarps torn apart from drying 550 cord which was tightened during rain.