Tarwar makes one heckuva machete!

I was clearing our some BIG thistles today... 8ft tall with 3 inch trunks. The stickers stuck out so far that I couldn't reach the base with the Bamboo Cutter without getting jabbed by thorns. So I broke out the much longer Tarwar to reach in through the branches & chop 'em off at the root. Where I had to reach in through the thorns really far, the up swept nose of the blade came in real handy.... actually cut through a couple of trunks just by jabbing at the base like I was fencing. When something that big & heavy is razor sharp, its like totally awesome to use. Big thumbs up!

3-19-09g%20002.jpg

Last edited:
California has a nasty invasive thistle that gets huge & full of stickers... here's a pic of a 12-foot specimen:

wfshl-thistle-bull-11.jpg

I remember those from my extremely rural youth. What a pain they were to eliminate!:eek:

And the stickers could numb you up for a week.

Great write up UD! :thumbup:

A question concerning the weight of the Tarwar ...

... actually cut through a couple of trunks just by jabbing at the base like I was fencing. When something that big & heavy is razor sharp, its like totally awesome to use.

You were obviously able to use it while holding it sizeways to thrust through the trunks but how much did the Tarwars weight effect how long before you felt fatigued using it ...i.e., was the time period you can use it about the same as a similar weighted Khukuri?

how much did the Tarwars weight effect how long before you felt fatigued using it ...i.e., was the time period you can use it about the same as a similar weighted Khukuri?

That Tarwar is big & heavy & long.... only way I'd be able to use it for a protracted period would be if I used two hands to swing it. Not too many folks beefy enough to wield that thing one-handed for very long....

That Tarwar is big & heavy & long.... only way I'd be able to use it for a protracted period would be if I used two hands to swing it. Not too many folks beefy enough to wield that thing one-handed for very long....

Thanks for the further input ...I was thinking that it would be a bit like my 40ounce 20inch CAK ...ok for short bursts but then fatigue (owner weakness :eek: ) come to the equation.

Maybe the Wajaski would be a better 'machette on steroids' proposal for this weakling? :D

Back