Teak Handle

How is teak as a handle material? I have some teak flooring left over from a room in my house, and I was thinking it would make nice handle scales. Should it be sealed, or just sanded and finished?

Thanks

Welcome to BladeForums!! :) Be advised that making knives is an addiction and uncurable disease!!!! :eek::D

Teak is an oily wood and sometimes does'nt glue well so scales on a full tang knife are only as good as your adhesion. You really have to rely on mechanical fastening [pins,screws]. Other than that, Teak is about as durable as you will find. Resists rot, resist bugs and is very stable moisture wise. If you can walk on it for 20 years, I don't think you'll wear it out on a knife handle!! ;)

To finish just sand out to about 400 grit and polish. If you try to put a finish on it, I would suggest an oil such as Teak oil, boiled Linseed oil or something of that type. Give it a try!!

I am in the process of my second knife, and I believe there is no turning back now! It is a lot of fun and a hobby I can do while at home.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I figured with as hard as teak is, it would make a great handle. That will be my next project.

Now if I can only figure out that flat grind...............

What a coincidence. I am working with some teak handle material too. I got about 3 board feet of this curly material and thought that the leftovers would make good handles.

I finished with linseed oil and sanded to 4k.

2789702192_cc12607fa4_o.jpg

Phillip