Team Gemini in the sticks

Very cool! Your "hobo meal" made me hungry! Never had one made with "'kraut" before! May have to try that. Always had it with hamburger, onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Looks like you guys had a great time. I haven't camped in a few years, but am going to have to get out again. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, the kraut definitely gives it a lot of flavor

I've found the worst thing you can do to avoid the skeeters in the woods is to start a chop fest. I believe they are heavily attracted to an increase in respirations, today's chopping session proved this through and through. Showed up to my good ole' 'spot' and sat down to crack a beer, maybe one or two skeeters in the couple minutes I sat there sipping. As soon as I started chopping I kid you not there had to be at least a couple dozen swarming me…… :eek:

You guys encounter any poison ivy? I was wearing shorts on my excursion this afternoon and likely brushed across tons of the stuff blazing off the trail. I don't even bother to look for it as I've never actually gotten what even looked like a case of poison ivy with the rash and all, not sure why exactly but the stuff just doesn't seem to really get me. I did get quite a bit of itching on my shins (don't EVER scratch at it, btw!) which I would assume is from the ivy's oil on my skin, but since I never scratch at it there shouldn't be a means of it getting through your skin unless you've got a pretty weak epidermis. Am I missing something or am I just a freak of nature with this stuff?

I've found the worst thing you can do to avoid the skeeters in the woods is to start a chop fest. I believe they are heavily attracted to an increase in respirations, today's chopping session proved this through and through. Showed up to my good ole' 'spot' and sat down to crack a beer, maybe one or two skeeters in the couple minutes I sat there sipping. As soon as I started chopping I kid you not there had to be at least a couple dozen swarming me…… :eek:

You guys encounter any poison ivy? I was wearing shorts on my excursion this afternoon and likely brushed across tons of the stuff blazing off the trail. I don't even bother to look for it as I've never actually gotten what even looked like a case of poison ivy with the rash and all, not sure why exactly but the stuff just doesn't seem to really get me. I did get quite a bit of itching on my shins (don't EVER scratch at it, btw!) which I would assume is from the ivy's oil on my skin, but since I never scratch at it there shouldn't be a means of it getting through your skin unless you've got a pretty weak epidermis. Am I missing something or am I just a freak of nature with this stuff?

I find that people who don't really attract insects get poison ivy and poison oak very easily. I don't get it at all but mosquitoes eat me alive... Go figure

I find that people who don't really attract insects get poison ivy and poison oak very easily. I don't get it at all but mosquitoes eat me alive... Go figure

When I was younger I would hunt ginseng, goldenseal and the such with my father and brother. My father was told by an old timer that snake root would ward off mosquitoes if placed in a pocket or under your ball cap. It has quite a distinct smell and did seem to work a bit as a natural defense.

Yeah, haven't had too much trouble with poison ivy over the years, but mosquitoes tend to eat me alive

When I was younger I would hunt ginseng, goldenseal and the such with my father and brother. My father was told by an old timer that snake root would ward off mosquitoes if placed in a pocket or under your ball cap. It has quite a distinct smell and did seem to work a bit as a natural defense.

I will have to try this, btw can't wait to start looking for Ginseng as the summer fades….. anyone else that goes after this be sure to plant the berries to carry on the species.

My little brother and I recently went on a camping trip in Parke Co. IN, and I was able to break my Team Gemini in (Azwelke sheath). I'm not quite to the point of chopping through logs with this beauty, but did feather sticks and chop small branches (I have to admit it felt good to chop).

View attachment 564265
View attachment 564266
View attachment 564267

As you can tell, the knife was invisible in this pic (looks like it should be in hand)

View attachment 564268

And my lil bro in the gun show...
View attachment 564269
Good news! Not only after 2 years am I worthy to be apart of this discussion, but a new camping trip is due...WHY? Because lil bro is getting a Busse!

Correct. Female mosquitoes (males don't drink blood) have receptors that detect carbon dioxide; they can sense breath plumes. Chopping leading to heavier breathing leading to...yeah. They're also attracted by a lot of fragrances in things like deodorant, body spray, hair products, etc. If you're going to spend a while in a mosquito-infested area, unscented deodorant is recommended.

Looks like a fun time. I gave up on tents years ago and went hammock, bad back injury keeps me from sleeping flat on the ground or in bed for that matter. Always enjoy going though and thats a great area.

Back