1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tech Bowie sheath issue

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by PCJorgy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. PCJorgy

PCJorgy

May 3, 2012
    So I just recently got myself a Tech Bowie after being impressed with the Super Bowie (my first SOG but more knife than I want to use, I just wanted to have it). So I really like this Tech, good size, very comfy in the hand and fit and finish is excellent. I also really like the sheath, slim profile, seems sturdy and was happy to see they dropped the American Sportsman attachment in favor of a Velcro nylon loop (just Velcro though, no snap :grumpy:).

All is good, right?
    Wrong.

As expected the blade came fairly sharp out of the box. I tested it on some paper and was satisfied. Well, while putting it in the sheath I noticed a fair amount of resistance that I thought was odd but slapped it in there anyway. After taking it back out I had a mind to take a peek inside and saw that the edge of the blade was coming into contact with the inside of the sheath. No big deal I thought, it'll break in and loosen up. It was after all this that I decided to cut more paper (just because its oddly satisfying) and to my surprise the edge was dull, not just a little, but very dull. It would not even cut the paper. So now I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on. I put an edge back on it and slid it back into the sheath and took it back out, dull, same as before. It was then that I remembered back to when some Beckers had an issue with their sheaths dulling the blades and I knew that's what was going on here. The sheath that comes with these new Tech Bowies is NOT kydex. I have tested by lightly running the edge of other knives I have across the material all with the same results, significantly dull afterwards. So as it stands this knife and sheath together are unusable. :thumbdn:

Has anyone had this issue?
    I have e-mailed SOG and am curious as to what they will have to say. In the mean time I ordered a 2.0 cause I'm an addict and also love leather handles. I should have just got that one in the first place, lol. :D