Review Tech Diamond Tools diamond paste

I may be a bit late to the party but I just discovered diamond pastes.
I was going to buy a 5k stone to compliment my 2k stone. I then found this 3 pack of US made pastes from Tech Diamond Tools.
I got the high concentration 4k, 8k and 50k three pack for just over $20 directly off their website. I applied the 4K to the rough side and the other two the smooth side of some strops.
It put the edge right back onto my new tanto as well as on my Shun Santoku chef's knife.
I always loved using strops but this diamond paste stuff takes it to a whole new level!!

Kk6Aynnl.jpg

Diamond paste is pretty awesome. I was sharpening a ZT with a CPM 20V blade this morning. Because I was lazy and one of my strops that was loaded with Marbles Green was close, I tried that first. Did a BESS test and scored only a 275. Got off my butt and grabbed a strop loaded with 4 micron diamond paste. I little while later I re-measured and got a BESS score of 70. Much better.

That seems like a great price for the 3 pack!

I've used the Tech diamond tools pastes a lot in the past, and I like them. Works well.

There is this useful grit guide on their website.

Grit guide:

• 200,000 Grit, 0 to 0.1 Microns – The Finest Polish
  • 100,000 Grit, 0 to 0,25 Microns – Final Polish
  • 50,000 Grit, 0 to 0,5 Microns – Final Polish
  • 14,000 Grit, 0 to 1 Microns – Final Polish
  • 8,000 Grit, 0 to 2 Microns – Mirror Finish
  • 5,000 Grit, 1.5 to 3 Microns – Mirror Finish
  • 4,000 Grit, 2 to 4 Microns – Mirror Finish
  • 3,000 Grit, 3 to 6 Microns – Fine Polish
  • 2,000 Grit, 4 to 8 Microns – Fine Polish
  • 1,500 Grit, 6 to 12 Microns – Pre Polish, Fine Lapping
  • 1,200 Grit, 8 to 16 Microns – Lapping Metals
  • 1,050 Grit, 12 to 20 Microns – Lapping Metals
  • 800 Grit, 14 to 24 Microns – Stock Removal or Lapping Metals
  • 600 Grit, 22 to 36 Microns – Stock Removal or Lapping Metals
  • 500 Grit, 36 to 54 Microns – Medium Fast Lapping
  • 400 Grit, 54 to 80 Microns – Medium Fast Lapping

Diamond pastes and sprays are great. Especially with some of the new super hard steels becoming nearly run of the mill for production knives now. Really the only down sides are the mess it makes compared to the standard green crayon like compound, and the price compared to the standard green alum oxide compound. 20 for a pack of three sounds like a pretty great deal compared to what I have seen out there for even a single vial of the stuff. I will have to check these out.

S streak Curiously those grit numbers are not quite those typically used by the majority of retailers. For example 0 to 2 micron is usually marked #14000, and #8000 represents 2 to 4 micron. Since there are different ways to measure micron size at these fine levels and they frequently don't agree it probably doesn't matter.

Back