Techno finish

miltmaldo

Gold Member
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just got a second Techno . So my question is when did Spyderco change the finish on the techno I know they used S30V steel on some knives but didn't know that the finish change on them . My old one had a stonewashed finish the new one looks like a working finish even the pocket clip looks this way .

Oh wow, that's a big difference. Looks like stonewashed vs bead blasted.

Looks like the Spydiechef finish. Maybe when they stopped making the Bowie? What's the date code on the box?

Looks like a noticeable difference in the finish. I like the darker one on the right. Which one is which?

I like the lighter stonewash look. I'm guessing it will show wear less prominently.

I had one like your new one a month or so ago. It caught me off guard enough to think it might have been a counterfeit but I think they must have just changed the stonewash process at some point.

I had one like your new one a month or so ago. It caught me off guard enough to think it might have been a counterfeit but I think they must have just changed the stonewash process at some point.

I'm my opinion the old one looks better with a better fit and finish. The stone wash looks great and makes the techno look and feel like a high end knife . Even the blade has a better finish. The new one looks like Spyderco is cutting corners on cost . The satin or bead blasted or whatever finish they used the techno is what you expect from a Kershaw made in China. The blade looks like it was bead blasted instead of stone washed . Not sure what Spyderco did but it wasn't an upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes I got it from a trade I have seen some reviews on YouTube with h this finish . The other member bought it from mass drop. Pictures there match the second techno

I remember someone else commenting on this a year or two ago. I also prefer the old finish.

What finish do you guys think is better between bead blast and stonewashed? As far as hiding EDC wear and tear. I would imagine bead blast is faster and cheaper but stonewash might be a little better. Which finish do you guys prefer and why?

Stone wash all the way for what you’re describing. If you want the knife to get it’s own weathered, worn in look over time with use, get bead blasted.

Back