1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tell me about my "ORDEP NEPAL" khukuri

Discussion in 'HI Cantina' started by blasto9000, Jun 11, 2014.

1. blasto9000

blasto9000

Jan 31, 2014
    Hi guys -- I acquired this at a gun show last January... just getting around to posting about it. My first khukuri was given to me by a Nepali friend. Since then I have grown to greatly enjoy Nepali khukuris, but never obtained any more due to shipping costs. (That was well before I discovered BladeForums and Himalyan Imports.)

I think I overpaid for this khukuri, but at the spur-of-the-moment couldn't research the marking "ORDEP NEPAL." However, seeing that it was likely a Nepali-made knife with legitimate Nepali heritage, I just couldn't resist. The vendor was asking $125 for it. I bought a few other things from him and he gave it to me for $100.

It looks like it's never been used. Blade has a light patina; no chips in the edge. The handle is tight; made of horn. No chips, but appears to show early signs of delaminating between the natural layers or grain.

The sheath is in fair condition. The leather is very dry and doesn't at all grip the khukuri, chakmak, or karda. (Chakmak and karda show signs of having been dropped on the floor many times, and have some very deep rust.)

So... how'd I do? Is there anything I can do to preserve the handle?

Any other info would be welcome. I know there are resources online that describe these knives (and I've read many of them), but if there are any nuances you suspect I missed, please let me know. :)

EDIT: To mods: I mistakenly posted this in the IH Cantina... I came here to look up an accepted spelling for "khukuri" and ended up posting here as well. If inappropriate, I would be most appreciative of your time to move it to the proper forum! Thank you~

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4326.JPG

2. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    Hey mate, you posted this in the archived forums! You'll get more responses in the main Cantina forum, might want to repost this there or ask a mod to move it for you. :)

3. bargs

bargs Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2010
    it looks like a sevice number 1 or 2 bas,or british army service to me,if I did my studyin right. good looking kukri, kukri a gunshows are priced so out of sight the past 2 years,still a nice kukri,your price was not out of line in this part of Arkansas,good deal, pawn shops or gunshows would be askin 150.00. ive seen em. I cant tell from the pics on blade length might be one of the shorter 9" blade police issue ones from khhi/xgurka house etc,cant remember what their called. just my thoughts..

4. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    From the dedicated vault of Spiraltwista:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bargs

bargs Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2010
    that was some good reading mr. JayGoliath, that is what I thought his was. tough little blades..