Tell me about San-Mai...

DW, I totally agree that for the money there may not be a better knife out there. I do think the Specwar is a better knife due to it's design and ergonomics as well as the steel used, but again that's personal preference. Also, the Specwar has performed some pretty amazing feats in testing.

Since we're on the subject of Cold Steel, and Carbon V, etc... Is the blade on the Recon Tanto the same hollow grind as on the rest of the Tanto line?

Hello Harv,

You mentioned something about de-laminations under stress. Now this one caught my attention.
smile.gif

I own a Magnum Tanto IX and a Master Tanto, both San Mai III. With the Magnum Tanto, the lamination line is okay on both sides, but with the Master Tanto, I noticed that on one side, the line is okay, but on the other side, the line from the tip of the blade angles down approaching the handle. It's almost touching the edge itself! Is this a factory defect? or is it with conjunction about CS' claims that every San Mai III laminate is unique in its own? I tried looking into it more closely, thinking that the one side of the blade is thicker or something, or that they didn't grind it sufficiently to make both lines parallel to the blade's edge. But the thickness seems to be okay. Could be that the metals were off position when they made the laminate?

Dan

Outlaw_Dogboy
posted 02-17-99 04:41 PM ET (US)
-----------------------------------
>>>
Since we're on the subject of Cold Steel, and Carbon V, etc... Is the blade on the Recon Tanto the same hollow grind as on the rest of the Tanto line?
<<<

No it isn't. Its flat grind. I like it better this way.

ZoxX

Dan,

Just guessing from your description, but it sounds like the middle layer thins out as it approaches the handle, and is a little off center. In other words the one side of the middle layer is straight while the other side moves toward the edge. Doesn't sound too alarming to me as long as the seem doesn't cross the edge anywhere.

Harv

Back