Tell Me More About The 15

If you like half stops, the 29, with its 3 springs, has a half stop on each blade/tool.
View attachment 1494166

The 66 not having half stops actually works fine (really well, actually) for me. I’m the rare beast that actually prefers my slippies to not have half stops. That is one reason I like my Albers so much :)

Just be aware that the last run of the GEC #66 had some pretty weak pulls and a lack of 'snap' on the secondary (smaller) blades.

Weak as in, “help it finish closing once it’s most of the way down” or weak as in, “not the slip joint/GEC snap we are used to, and know/love?”

If you’re thinking more along the 3 blade medium size, the 29 stockyard whittler is a nice knife. The secondary blades are tucked away nicely while using the main clip blade but they’re still easy enough to access. For me a small to medium size knife can afford to have more blades/tools where a larger size seems more appropriate for a single blade. I thought about the 66 calf roper but I wanted the awl on the 29 and it’s been very useful. I’d never had an unequal end knife before but I was surprised at how nice it is to use in its configuration.

The awl is about as useful as it gets. I’ve only ever had SAK’s with them though. Just figured/assumed to use one of the other (smaller) blades if needed. That 29 will be one to check out in the future. I’ll have to handle one and see how the unequal end feels in my hand :)

Weak as in, “help it finish closing once it’s most of the way down” or weak as in, “not the slip joint/GEC snap we are used to, and know/love?”
Weak as in you have to pull the blade open all the way, it won't 'snap' open. I love the #66 pattern so much that I bought three Calf Roper Stockman knives... and sold them all. I can't tolerate a weak 'snap', but that's just me and not everybody feels the same way. Some actually prefer a weaker pull and they are fine with a light 'snap'. Just thought you should be informed before you spend a bunch of money on the secondary market.

Weak as in you have to pull the blade open all the way, it won't 'snap' open. I love the #66 pattern so much that I bought three Calf Roper Stockman knives... and sold them all. I can't tolerate a weak 'snap', but that's just me and not everybody feels the same way. Some actually prefer a weaker pull and they are fine with a light 'snap'. Just thought you should be informed before you spend a bunch of money on the secondary market.

Gotcha. I appreciate that. I don’t like a nail breaker, but yes I definitely (like yourself) prefer plenty of snap when opening and closing. It feels more stout in my opinion. Even if I happen upon one on the secondary, that is something that would more than likely deter me.

Even if I happen upon one on the secondary, that is something that would more than likely deter me.
Maybe someone will give you a good enough deal on one that it's worth checking out for yourself. It certainly is a lovely knife.

Reactions: BP_
Maybe someone will give you a good enough deal on one that it's worth checking out for yourself. It certainly is a lovely knife.

True. And I agree, a very nice knife. I would like to feel one in hand and see how well it uses. The weak snap would certainly deter me, but you make a good point on at least checking one out. It’ll happen when the time is right, either one will pop up for a good price or someone will offer. For now I’m anticipating this 15 showing up (scheduled for Thursday), and seeing how it fits me ;):thumbsup:

I had that problem with my ebony calf roper. I was able to, for the most part, remedy it by “slackening” the blade. I believe that’s what it’s called anyways.
I saw the late, great Tony Bose post a video about it on Instagram and immediately thought, “hey I have a lazy blade that I can try this on”.

Don’t want to interrupt the thread, but is that a 14 mod? Can you tell me more about it?

Yes but it's a 15 ;) Started out as Yellow Jigged Bone but I asked @jsdistin to mod it for me with some Himalayan Ram's Horn scales and add a Rat-Tail bolster :cool: His work is fantastic and irreproachable :thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

GhBk8jR.jpg

Last edited:
BP_ BP_ You're far from alone in preferring a smooth opener to jerky half-stops :D Especially single blades :thumbsup:

66 came as 2 blade Jacks, Stockman 3 blades and opposite end 2 blade single-spring the so-called Slim 66 in the early runs from 2010. Snap on the Jacks and single springs was really crisp and smart, very good on the ones I had (gave 2 away, insane in those days :D) But I too have heard the Stockmans of later make were anaemic, this would incense me :eek: no good in a working knife.

Have a look around for a 35 Churchill, these might please you: single-spring (no half-jerks there...) big Clip master and Sheepfoot minor, useful and great carry in the pocket.

Thanks, Will

K0N9GV8.jpg

Last edited:
BP_ BP_ You're far from alone in preferring a smooth opener to jerky half-stops :D Especially single blades :thumbsup:

66 came as 2 blade Jacks, Stockman 3 blades and opposite end 2 blade single-spring the so-called Slim 66 in the early runs from 2010. Snap on the Jacks and single springs was really crisp and smart, very good on the ones I had (gave 2 away, insane in those days :D) But I too have heard the Stockmans of later make were anaemic, this would incense me :eek: no good in a working knife.

Have a look around for a 35 Churchill, these might please you: single-spring (no half-jerks there...) big Clip master and Sheepfoot minor, useful and great carry in the pocket.

Thanks, Will

K0N9GV8.jpg

I have had a 35 in the past, very nice knife. Fit in the hand well. For whatever reason, it just didn’t do it for me. I’m not sure I can even put my finger on a definite reason for it, there was nothing wrong with the knife itself. It just didn’t speak to me, and didn’t feel like it was “mine” if that makes any sense.

A 2 blade 66 sounds interesting. It might be one to check out in the future. I do like the idea of the stockman 3 blade 66 as well, just for something new to try. I also just found my old 83 and 72 lock backs, weren’t in as bad of shape as I thought. Rough, but able to be saved by the right person I think :thumbsup:

I like it quite a bit actually. A bit more than I initially though, which is a good thing of course. It makes me think I’d really feel at home with a 66, having gotten used to two blade small/medium slippies recently. Obligatory pic :)

213FF87F-89D7-4533-BA0C-185E7905751F.jpeg 598ADAF2-B74D-44E4-AF4B-A3CD5AB497B2.jpeg

vrLa3xZ.jpg

not as clean as id like

wJ1HNLV.jpg

Same on mine. It looks good though, I think you did a good job on it :thumbsup:

It’d be perfect if I had my way about it but still a fine knife, I like it fairly well so far

Back