Tell your blade confiscation sob stories here =(

Hey guys. Massachusetts resident here. The law is very strict against knife carry here, so everytime I take one out of the house, theres a chance lf losing it.

I lost a cold steel custom series talwar(such a beautiful knife too) during a traffic stop. I wasn't charged or anything. Guess the officer added it to his collection. Still pains me to this day(cant find these anymore). About 250$ down the drain. My fault for being dumb.

After that, I got pulled over and arrested for something dumb. Had my cold steel custom series black sable on me. Luckily, the 2 cops were cool and allowed me to leave it in the car.

The luck didn't last long however. A few years later, I had an accident and was in the hospital out cold for 2 days. I had my cold steel custom series black sable on me(I had all the custom series cold steel knives at one point). Woke up: no knife. No information.
Guessing the ambulance driver swiped it. I was extremely angry at this. Luckily I didn't have any cash on me as well. Another 250$ down the drain.

I've had some LUCK as well.
I got arrested for having a warrant at a camping trip, and had a serrated spyderco police knife on me (I know I know, not a good camping knife lol).
After I got cuffed, the officer says "you want to leave your knife with one of your buddies? My sergeant(or lieutenant. I forget) won't like that very much." So I left it behind and didn't lose that one.

The last time I was arrested, I had 3 cheaper beater knives on me (blades over 4 inches however), and a small completely legal casexx knife. At the station, they pulled them off of me and layed them out like that scene from the dark knight when the joker gets arrested.
When I was released an hour later, they let me take them with me. I was a bit surprised, as they definitely weren't legal size.

I guess it sometimes depends on how you conduct yourself during these encounters that determines the fate of your steel.

I also think perhaps there are officers who aren't aware of the specific laws. I'd called the police station in the last inquiring about the legal status of carrying knives, and was told "as long as it isn't serrated". I found out later thanks to the internet that wasn't true for that specific city.

Anyways, enough rambling. Have any of you lost any good knives to the law (or other reasons)?

I haven't had any problems, but I mostly stick to knives that are "low key" (SAKs, classical folders such as opinel, etc) and I'm try to be pretty self-aware of where I'm going... Most importantly, I try to keep my interactions with the police to an absolute minimum. The less they know I exist the better.

I haven't had any problems, but I mostly stick to knives that are "low key" (SAKs, classical folders such as opinel, etc) and I'm try to be pretty self-aware of where I'm going... Most importantly, I try to keep my interactions with the police to an absolute minimum. The less they know I exist the better.

What can I say, I was very dumb in my early 20s

I feel like a wise hermit in my mid 30s now

Philadelphia a decade ago. I always carried a knife in my pocket when I biked to and from work because I opened a lot of boxes while working. Reasonable. Well, one night, I got robbed at gunpoint outside of my apartment, the guy was caught and arrested, and I had to go to the courthouse for his arraignment later. I guess I was on autopilot that day, grabbed my normal bike riding stuff, and rode to the courthouse. I walked in past the lobby, the metal detectors went off, I immediately knew what had happened, and they confiscated it from me. I actually found it amusing that she just turned around and tossed it into a box behind her. The thing was LOADED with tons of pocketknives. I didn't care about the one that was taken from me since it was just some cheap sub-$30 CRKT.

I didn't get another until I later moved to Portland and bought a then-new, now-discontinued, Benchmade 907 mini Nitrous Stryker... aaaaaand lost it a few weeks later when it fell out of my pocket while walking home. I'm not good at this...

Living in SE Asia where you can own just about anything, but it is frowned on to carry unless you have a reason: ie 16 inch machete is fine if you are doing coconuts or bananas, any knife is fine for Agriculture purposes.

I was traveling back to the US with a layover in Hong Kong. On entrance at the airport here your bags are xrayed. I had a inexpensive 3 inch assisted in my shave kit along with a SAK. They stopped me saying: You can't travel through Hong Kong with a flipper. They did allow me to fish it out and give it to my wife who was still at the Entrance! So eagle eye Security with a heart.

Have no idea if they could pick out an assisted with no flipper tab.

Overseas it makes a HUGE difference where you are traveling through even if you are just changing planes and not going through Customs and Immigration and retrieving checked baggage!

Back