Temperance

Hey Slow1. We plan to begin shipping in June of this year. only 200 pcs per month are scheduled. 75 trailing point blade (rhino horn), 75 Leaf shape blade (spear point?), 25 trainers for each. Very limited production. It's not a knife everyone would care for.

They'll be expensive. MSRP in the $200 range.

hope that helps. We'll post pics as soon as we can.

sal

A very interesting name! Am really curious to know where it came from. My first thought was to wonder if you/Sal/Spyderco, were harkening back to the days of prohibition?

Obviously, it could come from tempering steel, but have never before seen the word temperance in conjunction with steel. When I was in high school in Rockford, IL, the Womens Christian Temperance Union -- something like that, I know -- was a force to be reckoned with. Won't say just exacly how long ago that was, but it was in the second half of the century.

If you can, please share the origin with us. Thanks,

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Specs Please!!!
I want the rhino horn version,and I see where the trainer will be a must.
Put me down for one of each.Price is just a price.But I look forward to the pic and specs.Looks like I'll start saving now

I was wondering how the Temprance will fit into the MBC line up? I know Keating designed the Chinook with the back cut in mind, with a fighting style close to a Bowie knife, Bram's Gunting was a non-lethal pressure point tool, with a the ability to open kinetically, and Ayoob's knife was designed to be held similar to a pistol with the theory that the blade would not drift upward and lose force during impact. Any insight on the Temperance?

Hey, how about a Carrie Nation commemorative?
With a bottle opener!
For RC Cola of course.

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bugs3x:
When I was in high school in Rockford, IL, the Womens Christian Temperance Union -- something like that, I know -- was a force to be reckoned with. Won't say just exacly how long ago that was, but it was in the second half of the century.
////////

But which century was that?
Before or after the Whiskey Rebellion?
I'm glad Spydies lack corkscrews.;-)
[/B]</font>

------------------
ChuteTheMallGawdSortaMount

I have had an opportunity to play with TEMPERANCE prototype at IWA show some time ago. It's really very special knife with specific pluses and minuses like each other knife at least. Very comfortable to hold (something for me) and easy to change grip position (not for me). It is light (just right for me) and it seats in the pocket pretty high (not certainly for me).

Naturally some minutes of play is far too few to make complete impression but at first look I like this leaf version. I don't remember did we discussed with Sal this knife design's "philosophy", it was too few time and too much impressions and topics to discuss
smile.gif

If I have understood this design well, the short blade should make it legal to carry in practically all jurisdictions. On the other hand, the blade's width should recompense the lack of the length in impact when knife is used for defensive purposes, it is possible using certain techniques.
Flat ground (like Military) blade makes this knife very decent cutter and as result - appealing every day carry piece.

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 04-16-2001).]

Sal,
Will the Temperance Sr.(s) have black scales by chance? I'd suggest the blade not go below 3.75", having it in the Military/Police class would be ideal.
If not that, any chance of a sprint variant of the Jr.(trailing point) in black scales? In my experience, colors attract (too much)more attention than black.

Thanks,
Ken

well I know Poppa Spyder will jump in soon...
but here goes..
The Temperance Jr has a touch o' Keating, Janich, Bram n some other guys...
Sal gleamed a bunch of stuff together ( that he learned playing with all of us)and came up ( hes pretty good @ coming up with knife designs that cater to the "way" he sees it!)with a tough little knife that fits ergonomically in ones hand, cuts really clean ( matter seperation) and goes from forward to reverse grip on a dime...
Sorry about the length..its a real MBC under three inch type of edged tool..

And the Rhino horn is my favorite!
slice n hook n grab..
Very cool!
Its got a 3-D handle..a touchy feely thing that works great!!!!!
Green,... the ptoto is a dull light green...

Thanx guys. You make my job easy.

Ken, anything is possible on colors. I just thought to try green cuz there's so many black knives and the green de-emphasizes any "sinister" the model might present. The G10 is custom made for us due to strength and thickness requirements so any color is possible. It had a wide blade that's as thick s the Military, an MBC rated compression lock.

Serg, thanx for the very realistic analysis.

The large version would be in the 3.75" range.

Bugs. regarding the name; "a Lil' Temperance" is a "good" thing.

This is an MBC model with a 3" blade. Seeing it alongside of a more "conventional" 3" (blade) knife would show the difference. There is certainly no "tougher" 3" (blade) folder (the Gunting is about equal) on the market, that I know of, custom or production.

sal

Thanks for the clarification Sal. I'll be looking forward to the release of both sizes.

When I played with the (rhino)prototype it felt like a wicked bulldog of a knife. The lightweight and sculpted grip were excellent in the hand(mine anyway).

Ken

My view on the Temperance, not having held one yet:

The leaf-style blade is straight off the Calypso Jr., which in my opinion is heretofore the best knife Spyderco has ever designed in-house. The cutting ability is unbelieveable. It makes perfect sense to put that blade on a handle that's designed for more security than the Calypso Jr.'s was, and a stronger lock, and end up with the Temperance.

Although I haven't held it, it's definitely got the potential to be my fave of the MBC line. It's a matter of how well that weird-looking handle fits my hand.

Joe

Back