temperature question

Random question... from me anyway. How hot would a typical blade have to get before it lost its RC hardness?:confused:

depends on the steel. in a nutshell, it has to get above the temperature it was tempered at.

ok, call me ignorant and poke me in the eye.... what are average heat treat temperatures? :footinmou

Like Fitzo said it depends on the steel used to make the blade. I use 5160 for my blades and I temper them at around 335-350. So, again like Fitzo said, if one of my knives were put into an environment that exceded the 335-350 temperature that they were tempered at it would drop the hardness level of the blade. The hotter the blade gets more it looses it's RC hardness. If you can find out what type of steel you need to know about I'm sure that we can come up with a more definite answer for you. Hope this helps clear things up.

Rick

Presuming you do not know what you really have: If stainless don't take it above 400 F.. Some stainless steels can tolerate temperatures far above that without, practically speaking, effecting the temper. However some of these stainless steels are tempered at ranges such as 400 F. and the temper point should not be acheived or exceeded. To be safe do not exceed 400 F.. If not stainless do not acheive or exceed 325 F..

Back