Tempering in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been wondering if a already quenched blade of either 1080/1094 can be tempered in pre heated 400 degree oil? Would this be the same as an oven quench for 2 hours at the same temperature? And if so what type of oil would be the best to do this tempering in. Thank you

The smoke point of peanut oil is 448F. Deep frying is commonly done at 375, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. Most of us have an oven ready to go, very few have a temp-controlled deep fryer.

Well I am using a toaster oven however it's not very good for larger projects. Would you recommend anything better for a latter knife or sword?

I see the guys on "Man at Arms- Reforged" (youtube) tempering their big ole swords vertically in oil pretty often. I remembering asking about this some years ago and basically got a "no". Maybe try getting ahold of Sam Salvati, he comes here every so often and is on that show. ;)

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Here's just one example of them doing it... Check at about 6:45 into the vid..

[video=youtube;o5tkGmavfvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5tkGmavfvQ[/video]

From other vids with longer shots of the tank, it looks like they just have a weed burner heating up the bottom of the tank and have a thermocouple sitting in there from the top.

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Don't use oil at that temperature...there are salts made for that very application, which won't get into fire and burn down your house

This comes up every so often. While it can be done, it is sort of like the idea of building a new Panama canal by using a row of atomic bombs ( Yes, that was an actual plan in the 1950's).

Oil near its flash point is unstable. It reacts with the oxygen in the air and degrades rapidly. Mostly, that is bad for French fries, but it may also affect the flash point. If ( and likely when) 400F oil is ignited, it doesn't have far to go for the whole batch to reach the flash point, which will re-create a shop version of Krakatoa. The entire shop ... and anyone in it ... will be covered in 400+ degree flaming oil.

While oil tempering is done in industry, and in some larger commercial shops, it is a bad idea in any small shop or home setup.

What would you recommend for a larger sized peice? I cannot use my oven, and the only other option would be using an open fire

Last edited:
Wow, how long is this big-un piece? because I think a kitchen oven could easy accommodate up to 34" long piece (at least my kitchen oven anyway). Could ask a baker to bake your piece for an hr (15 minutes would be OK too), twice :D

I agree with Stacy's advice on caution & safety of potential bad things happen with hot oil.

Wrote some instructions but decided not to post - you can email or pm me for that.

What would you recommend for a larger sized peace? I cannot use my oven, and the only other option would be using an open fire

I have done swords as long as 48" in my kitchen oven. Put them in from top right corner to bottom left corner. ( In places south of the equator, go top left to bottom right). Leave the excess sticking out. If you want, you can stick a piece of ins-wool in the top gap, but it is a pretty small gap, and the oven runs fine without it. Bake for an hour and turn around for an hour, Cool off and repeat.

The only caveat is to stick a fire brick in the bottom corner to keep the blade tip off the very bottom, as the heat source below may make it too hot.

I have done swords as long as 48" in my kitchen oven. Put them in from top right corner to bottom left corner. ( In places south of the equator, go top left to bottom right).

Sorry, but I just gotta ask... Why is this? lol

Does this have something to do with the coriolis effect? I'm trying to think of what the effect could be, but since I'm guessing that ovens in homes all over the world are facing every direction imaginable, I'm pulling a complete blank... I'm not trying to disagree with you, I'm honestly just sincerely curious! :confused: :D

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Yes, in the Northern Hemisphere, all blades should be forged and tempered with the tip facing north. This aligns all the grain boundaries with the magnetic flux of the earth and increases toughness. Some say it also gains a point or two of hardness, but I have never seen that on a scientific paper. Most people know about that, but what is a surprise to almost everyone is that to make an oven heat evenly, the left rear corner of all ovens ( in the northern hemisphere) has a vortex magnet that will bend the earths magnetic flux to make the chamber heat faster using the Coreolis effect. In the Southern Hemisphere, the alignment axis is to the south pole. Thus, the magnet is installed in the right rear corner of your oven ( Unless you have a northern manufactured oven with a southern adapter. They have two magnets, and can be used in either hemisphere. They are used on airplanes and cruise ships that cross the equator. They are expensive, and not likely to be found in the home.).

I'll bet you didn't know that.

Is it April 1st again? ;)

Buy 3 or 4 thrift store toaster ovens, cut large holes in the sides and clamp them together. Use a brick on the "door" end hole.

If the blade has a lot of curve, clamp the ovens to match.

Yes, I am just pulling your leg. Whatever the direction, the oven trick does work, though.

Dangit Stacy, the foundation of this sub-forum relies on your ability to remain sober-minded, or just plain sober... :p :D ;) lol

Honestly though, it does all sound very plausible! :eek:

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Lead pot tempering used to be used in commercial operation - back in the old days.

Now the lead fumes would be a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back