• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

temporary forges

I am beginer and only have acess to a torch for heat treating, and don't have a big spending account right now,too many hobbies. But I know that I am not the only person to be in this position, so does anyone have any directions or ideas on making a small homemade forge. I appreciate any help. Thanks, Sammy.

I am also in the market for a small, cheap forge. Mostly for portability's sake, I'm a very mobile person.

What I'm working on now is an idea I got out of one of the knife rags. Basicaly, take a fire brick and bore two holes in it, one lengthwise through the center and in one side and out the other. The other hole is bored through the wide side and intersects with the lengthwise hole but it stops when it joins up with the lengthwise hole instead of going all the way through.

The theory is, stick your steel in the long hole that goes all the way through and put your torch in the other hole that goes only half way through.

I don't know how well this will work, because I'm still drying the fire brick which has been sitting outside in my pile'o'masonry for several years. This is best done in the Sun or in a toaster oven at it's lowest setting. BUT DO DRY IT!! If you heat up a wet rock or brick it'll blow up with cataclysmic force! I learned this making a campfire when I was young. Caught some shrapnel from it. Woulda been worse but I took off at superluminal speed when I heard the rock pop. Thought somebody was shooting at me, it's louder than you'd think!

Oh, and you can use the toaster oven to temper, but not harden, your blade. But you'll want to get a high temperature thermometer from your local welding shop, as the built in thermometers are said to be unsuitably innacurate for heat treating.

I recommend you pick up a copy of Blade and or Knives Illustrated, they have gone in depth on cheap ways to make knives and I think this is covered as well.

Good luck.
smile.gif

------------------
God bless!

Romans 10:9-10

"Military" Fans Unite!!

I have a fairly inexpensive way to make a portable forge if you want to e-mail me i'll give you the info.

www.imt.net/~goshawk

Back