Temporary quench tank

Right now my parks 50 is sitting in a plastic pitcher. I let someone use my gallon of it, and they hit the bottom of the paint can with their blade when quenching and poked a small hole in the bottom, and it slowly leaked for a while before I realised what happened 😠

The ammo boxes are a great idea as well. Having the airtight lid to close up and move out the way when not in use, with little worry about spilling, because the wide rectangular base. And they’re inexpensive 👍

I think it bites us all at one time or another, lol

This thread, and also my buddy messing up the paint can, inspired me to just go ahead and put together a quench tank. Because, I have my parks 50 sitting in a plastic pitcher right now because it was the only thing that was the right size I could immediately find.

So. I have some thin sheet metal, I cut it into 4 inch strips, and I'm planning to make a square tall tank, and also weld a piece to the base. I want to weld something with some weight down there also so it wont tip over on me.

I'm going to need to buy some kind of weld on hinge, because I'm not wanting to drill and screw one on. It seems like it will lead to leaking problems.

I'm thinking having it being a 4 inch square should be more than big enough for most knives right? Idk if I can think of any blades taller than that. Even cleavers would still probably be able to squeeze in.

I just need to look up the equation for calculating volume. I'll admit, its been a while since algebra class. I want it to fit the gallon I have well, and maybe be able to fit another half gallon if I decide to buy one in the future.

Also, does anyone know how the lids of these are normally constructed? Do they seal? I'm going to look it up after this, but if anyone has any tips I'm willing to listen.

Back