Tenacious or Byrd Cara cara?

Both of these are low priced. Both have G10 handles. But I am split on which to get for my "best bang for buck" knife.

Which one of these is better quality fit and finish?

Note*
I like the lock on the Cara better. I never liked liner locks.

Cara cara

BY03Gp.jpg

If you like something about one knife better, then get it.

Both of them are excellent in terms of fit and finish, use similar (if not the same) steels, and have similar quality control. The only difference is blade profile and a different shaped hole.

Go with the Cara Cara if you like lockbacks. You won't be disappointed.

Travis

The Tenacious is a beefier knife. IMHO it is like the love child of a Manix and a Military, making it a pretty awesome folder and a great bang for the buck. The Cara Cara is just like an Endura with a choil. I would go for the Tenacious simply because I hate the byrdhole, both the look and feel of it, despite it being quite effective.

If byrd quality hasn't improved in the past year the Tenacious has better F&F although byrd is still very, very good.

I say go with the Tenacious for EDC tasks, its very comfortable and has that whole chisel grind.

I say go with the Tenacious for EDC tasks, its very comfortable and has that whole chisel grind.

I think you were meaning to say 'flat grind', Steve. Where the edge is concerned, both the Tenacious and Cara Cara are 'V' grind.

I think that both knives are sufficiently different that you should buy both. ;)

However the Cara Cara is chisel ground for their partial serrated version.

I agree, get both :)

I like the Cara Cara, although I'd go with (actually, did go with) the FRN handles to save weight.

i am in the both group.....why not?

have both...

cara cara....endura like in its feel and cutting ability

tenacious is more caly like for me...

I have both, and I prefer the Tenacious. I love the flat-ground blade, and it seems to hold an edge better than the Cara Cara (yes, they're the same steel). I don't prefer either locking mechanism (linerlock or lockback) over the other, not have I had any peroblems with the lock on either of these. They're both very good working knives, especially for the money.

It's a personal preference, but for me the Spyderco hole just says something that the comet hole doesn't. Anybody know what I mean?

I like the lock on the Cara better. I never liked liner locks.

I'm with you on this. I can't stand liner locks, but that being said, the Tenacious is very well made and certainly deserves the Spyderco logo.

Lock backs are the way to go. They are truly ambidextrous and are stronger than liner locks (Even Sal says so).

choubbi

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
I really don't like liner locks, and love the Spyderco's frontlocks, but I love my Tenacious. I only handled the Caracara a bit on a knife show, but didn't like it. It was too heavy, and I prefer flat ground knives. However it was as comfortable to the hand as my Tenacious.
The Tenacious' lock is really good, and doesn't feel like it's going to open by mistake. It makes me reconsider the Paramilitary that I didn't buy because of the lock (risk of opening in the pocket similar to the liner lock)

I suggest you try both or go for the Tenacious if you see the slicing ability as a priority.

Get the two of them. They are affordable. You won't regret it. I own both and my only problem is wich one to carry daily!

Recently purchased the Tenacious, after having the G10 Cara Cara since it's release. The quality to price on BOTH knives is mind boggling. I've had many knives that cost 2-3 times the $, without half the quality.

I sure like the looks of the Tenacious. Much better lines IMHO. The Cara Cara is great, but pretty darn heavy.

DD1

I have owned both and like both really well...Like the guys have said already, Cara Cara is a bit heavy..But I like heavy, I carry a Manix for Pete's sake... But I like having the spyderco name on my knives and the Tenacious is no joke, it's the middle man between a Manix and Caly 3..If the tenacious was a lock back, it would be my choice automatically.. The liner lock does hurt it a bit, although Spyderco's liners are awesome....I'd say get the Tenacious, than save up some more and get Cara Cara or at least go some where and handle both before making a decision, Remember the knife will choose you...