Tenacious > Seki & Golden Spydies?

So I've been doing cutting comparisons all day. The Tenacious has outcut almost all my knives, exceptions being those with personally reground edges.

My UKPK, Navigator 2, etched Dragonfly...all beaten. Newsprint to cardboard. Didn't bother with the Delicas. D'allara came closest.

So, do these knives all have factory edges? What do you mean when you say "outcut?" Are you saying that it's a manufacturer's issue in the quality of the respective knives and nothing can be done about it, or is it just a factory edge issue which can be fixed by sharpening them yourself?

All my knives, regardless of origin, are scary sharp, and are only differentiated in cutting performance by geometry of the edge and the medium they are cutting. Obviously, serrated edges will cut fibrous material better than a plain edge. A blade with a thin profile will cut easier into a lot of material than a thicker blade, but will also be more delicate and more prone to sustain damage to the thinner edge.

So, what's your data set? What exactly are you saying?

Why didn't you try the Delicas? More performance details would be appreciated - are you evaluating edge-holding, ease of slicing, overall feel?

I'm guessing your result is primarily due to grind and blade thickness. If that's true, a Calypso or UKPK would be the best comparison, since the blade grinds are similar, and the spec thickness is 3mm. I'd expect the Dragonfly to be a bit better, at 2.5 mm thickness, though the shorter blade may change the perceived slicing ability.

BTW - I think some people will find the post title inflammatory. If you intended it that way, I'm not biting. Regardless of where it comes from, Spyderco wouldn't be marketing the Tenacious if it wasn't a good knife. :)

Yea the tenacious is an awesome cutter but I prefer my Endura and Delica to it for an EDC role probobly due to the thickness of the handles. The tenacious' handle is a bit short for my hands but it is a really nice knife.

Probably because his Delicas have saber-grinds, and it wouldn't be logical to test saber ground knives against a full flat-ground one.;)

Depends on what you're evaluating. I agree that the different grinds should perform very differently in cardboard, but you could still test ergonomics for the overall knife, for example. Also, edge sharpness could play a bigger role than grind, if you made this slices close to the edge. It might even give you a sense about how the blade thickness and leverage affected the result - i.e. why the Dragonfly might have performed relatively poorly.

sorry to leave you guys hanging.

ergonomics, strength, edge holding, and all that other lovely stuff was ignored in this comparison. i just felt for how much effort was required to cut cardboard. no scales or gauges, just feelin it. how far can i pushcut newsprint before the paper tears or crumbles?

none of the knives i mentioned performed poorly. all fantastic cutters. the tenacious just cut notably better. it has push cut through branches and carved notches and made shavings, but cut right along side my SAK's having never touched a stone or rod. only an old, dry leather belt.

I wouldn't say that the Tenacious is a better knife than the Seki or Golden models (IMHO). I have a Tenacious and it cuts damn good. It however will not out cut or out slice my Paramilitary, Centofante 4, or Native III.

I will also add that even though I don't like to buy things made in China (when possible) that the Tenacious is THE BEST quality knife I've seen, used, and handed for $30. It's a great knife all around and has dispelled any thoughts I've had about China not being able to produce a quality product with good fit AND finish. ;)

Back