Tengu Flipper First Production Way Off Center

I'm posting to share my disappointment about a knife that'd been gifted to me by my folks over the weekend, a Tengu Flipper (aka 601). The blade is so far off center that it very nearly contacts the liner on the show scale side of the knife:

rH1I09B.jpg

I tried to correct this by manipulating the pivot screw, and up to one full rotation in either direction didn't change centering at all. Of course, since disassembly apparently voids the warranty (despite that seeming to contradict Magnuson Moss), I opted not to try to correct the issue any further; plus, I believe there's an IKBS system on this knife.

Yes, I'll give Benchmade a shot at correcting this problem, but wanted to voice my disappointment around having a gift from my parents turn into not only a headache, but a time and money expense with regard to the shipping/insuring and the multi-week turnaround time.

This is knife 160/1200 in the first production run; I'm curious if there are any other Tengu Flipper owners out there, first run or not, who've had similar centering issues. On another note, I seem to be among the many who've got a seriously stiff detent to overcome.

Of course, since disassembly apparently voids the warranty (despite that seeming to contradict Magnuson Moss), I opted not to try to correct the issue any further; plus, I believe there's an IKBS system on this knife.

I ordered a Tengu direct from Benchmade this weekend, hopefully it's not as off center as yours.

Not sure who/what Magnuson Moss is, but disassembly doesn't necessarily void the warranty. The warranty says: "This warranty does not cover defects due to:[...] alteration or disassembly of the knife by any third party or negligence." So, if you can put it back together, it shouldn't void the warranty. I'm pretty sure the bearings are caged bearings, not loose bearings (even many IKBS-licensed pivots are caged bearings now).

Also, if you do end up sending it off to Benchmade, make sure they don't sharpen it. I've had bad experiences with lifesharp sharpening tantos or other complex grinds.

Thanks Silent H Silent H for the pointers--I suppose I should've actually read up on the warranty itself instead of taking some random BHQ cautionary note at face value. It shipped out to OR this afternoon and I'm not too sore over the $12 to get it there by the weekend, insured.

I hope your Tengu arrives without any issue. It really is a little beauty.

At least you got yours! Lol. I preordered a gold class from knifecenter months ago and they are acting like they don’t have it in stock to ship. Meanwhile every local store and online store has them. Either they are lying or I should have ordered from a dealer that can get stock. Leaning towards the latter. Live and learn

I suspect - as mine is the same way - that it may not be out of alignmen, since both the opening tension and the locking mechanism function off the lockbar, this positioning may be by design?

Try loosening the screws on the handle slightly. Then center the blade and tighten the screws.

Back