Terry Primos Southwest Camp Bowie

Danbo

Platinum Member
Blade is about 7.5" of forged 5160, with a nice fine scotchbrite belt finish. Nickel silver guard and Ringed Gidgee wood handle.

This baby is ground very thin and is about as pointy as a knife can be!

Actually, the handle is sculpted a little. It has a little palm swell in the middle, and kinda flares wider towards the butt. Ideally, I would prefer a little longer handle, but Terry shaped this one nice and it works great.

I really like the blade and handle on this knife. If I were to get one it would have a double guard. Personal preference and all that.

Nice one, Dan. Terry does a great job building a knife, you seem to have the knack for scoring them. Always a pleasure to see what either of you come up with next.

Congrats Danbo and Terry - that's a sweet knife. I love the blade shape and that gidgee wood looks great. Nice sheath too. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Roger

Great looking knife. I have a couple of knives made by Terry and they are excellent. Enjoy!!!

That big clipped, sweeping big-belly blade reminds me a bit of John Fitch's big bowies, but it's still distinctly Primos. Awesome knife. Just awesome.

The last pic shows the belt finish better. To me, this finish is pretty nice and will probably allow me to use the knife more. Sometimes, those super fine handrubbed finishes are too pretty to go out and scratch up.

Thanks guys.

Danbo, glad you like it. Let me know how it works for you. I don't do too many 5160 blades. Who knows, this may well be the last.

Keith, the single guard is pretty common on the southwestern camp style. They don't always have the single guard of course, but it's not unusual. Mr. Moran has done quite a few like that.

While I may not make any more just like this, I am going to keep the blade style. I like the looks of it. I may do some with just a little more sweep at the spine, but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. I haven't decided exactly what I'll do on the next one, but maybe an oval guard and a ferrule.

Back