1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test knives

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by ahoward2k, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ahoward2k

ahoward2k

Sep 20, 2017
    So i had a thought today about maybe banking some test knives made so i could screw around with different sharpening procedures with different steel, instead of going out and spending big bucks on premium knives. I'm think something stupid simple like a straight 2ish inch blade that I can clamp in and practice. Honestly doesn't even need a handle. Had anybody tried anything like this?

bucketstove likes this.
  2. Diemaker

Diemaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2017
    I have found blade blanks on a Knife supply website but they were not from premium steel or heat treated. I would think a hardened blank made from premium steel would be of interest, to both of us. Anyone know of a source? Or if any knife makers have some seconds they would like to get rid of?

3. ahoward2k

ahoward2k

Sep 20, 2017
    Yeah there are a few others i can think of that are giving professional sharpening a go. I am working that way slowly, and I'd rather have my first experience with something like s110v or even d2 to be on something like this rather than potentially fuck up a customer's very expensive knife.

4. ahoward2k

ahoward2k

Sep 20, 2017
    A certain knife supply house does offer a heat treated cpm s35vn kit blade, and it's very reasonably priced. I'm thinking about snagging one of those, as i want to learn handles as well. I guess I'm trying to work backwards into knife making as room in my garage and the good graces of my wife allow.

5. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    I do believe you're looking at utility knife razor blades, the thickest you can buy (heavy duty) because they flex when you sharpen (or you could SHIM/DOUBLE to reduce flex),
    You can get
    - ceramic , think like the most chippy steel (max carbide volume) ... or paring/peeler
    - high carbon, low-medium carbide volume
    - high speed steel (hss) / bi-metal, medium-high carbide volume
    Add to that some stainless/scalpel style
    - havalon piranta ..5Cr13..
    And the gummies (least to most)
    - one dollar stainless knives
    - food grade stainless, spatula, thongs, spoon, butterknife, bowl
    - mild steel, tin can, nail, bucket, cup,

Add jacksaw/reciprocating sawzall for something longer in steels

All that ought to be in the one to five dollar range

6. ahoward2k

ahoward2k

Sep 20, 2017
    That's not bad. The are a few notoriously hard to sharpen steels that I'd want on hand to practice with.