Testing for sharpness

Hi,
How do you test your blade to see how sharp it is?
I thought I seen a show many,many years ago were they took a one inch free hanging rope and sliced right though it with there knife with out the rope moving. Now this rope was hanging from the ceiling without any weight tied the end of it. Anyone else seen this done befor?

Lots of interesting reading on the forum :)

Just learning,
JP

I cant see that as being possible, even with a razor blade unless there was substantial weight on the rope.

Hi guy, welcome to the forums.

Rope cutting involves a little technique, you don't cut across the rope; you cut at an angle down into the rope. That is how you hold it in place. With speed and a suitable knife you can cut the rope cleanly.

n2s

Check out the latest issue of BLADE magazine. They have an artice where large machetes and such are being used to cut the rope like you are talking about. They also show a guy cutting through 5 soda cans filled with water. He slices them in half with a Bowie. Takes a lot of precise technique for that one.

First, I'll visually check by holding the edge under a -not too close- lightsource. If there's any glare on the edge itself, back to work.

As soon as the edge won't reflect light anymore, I start trying to shave off some arm-hair. I can -just- reach that point with most of my knifes.

If you want a good edge but nothing spectacular, the first method alone will do just fine.

Welcome to the Forums!

There is a very neat little device available from www.razoredgesystems.com called the edge tester. It's about the size of a ballpoint pen and only costs $8.95. It includes complete instructions. It will allow you to very precisely evaluate your edge. I highly recommend it. Essentially, by just gently drawing this device along your edge you are able to "feel" imperfections that you cannot see.

I just place the edge on my thumnail. I can feel how sharp it is that way. No need to press hard, just put it there. You'll be surprised how sensitively you can feel it. Take care.

I use sheets of "DataCOMM Warehouse" and "PC Warehouse" catalogs.

Not ideal for the blade I'm testing, but I've been using them long enough that I can get a pretty good idea of relative sharpness.

Mike

I know this sounds too simple but... I have found that I can judge a knife's sharpness by how easily it opens an envelope.

Sure, I try shaving and cutting curves in paper etc.

But the "envelope test" works for me

Also, I've never heard anyone else mention this. Could this be the first ORIGINAL thought of my life?

Back