Testing Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
My big issue at this point with LTK is that they have since erased their apology of their mistakes like they are trying to hide from what they did which does not instill any trust in them for me in regards to future endeavors.

I also would rather this series of videos and test that were are shown by OP were more focused right now from admittedly a single video I saw a random assortment of knives many likely purchased from an irreputable vendor. I would recommend the testing to be more divided and organized with more detail upfront.

People make mistakes. Just as a bad knife can come out of a good factory, a bad test can come from a good tester.

Something to consider here is that the people doing the testing in question were volunteers. They were doing it because nobody else was. In the absence of a professional body that double-checks steel stamps, hardness, etc.; I applaud their efforts. Should they have handled things different in this particular case with Lionsteel? Sure. Hindsight is 20/20 though. This was a new endeavor and there is a learning curve. It's unfortunate but for this one issue, there have also been shady companies like Eafengrow who were exposed and honest upstarts like Petrified Fish who got both verification and exposure.

No, it isn’t irrelevant. If they tested an example with bad heat treat and the other people tested a different example with good heat treat, that would make sense.

people rescind statements all the time for a variety of reasons such as bad press, threat of lawsuits or simply being wrong. I am trying to figure out which. I am not bashing lionsteel in any way, my knives made by them were great.

Again this was not a simple oops on the part of a volunteer individual trying to do his best for the community.

In the first corner we have a long time established business that both supports this site per the rules and also takes extraordinary measures to give back.

In the second corner we have a group of unnamed and unqualified social media influencers creating lying click bait videos to increase their YouTube channel revenue.

I'm standing behind the guy in the first corner. You two feel free to support the corner that best matches your character.

Again this was not a simple oops on the part of a volunteer individual trying to do his best for the community.

In the first corner we have a long time established business that both supports this site per the rules and also takes extraordinary measures to give back.

In the second corner we have a group of unnamed and unqualified social media influencers creating lying click bait videos to increase their YouTube channel revenue.

I'm standing behind the guy in the first corner. You two feel free to support the corner that best matches your character.

Is this discussion about "unnamed and unqualified social media influencers" or are we talking about LTK?

Is the value, veracity, or helpfulness of volunteer knife testing binary in nature? In other words, are those qualities all-or-nothing propositions?

Does this all reduce to a dichotomy between two groups with one group being 100% good, one group being 100% bad, and all those not sharing your personal view being of shady character and standing in the corner with the bad guys?

Reactions: DMG
Is this discussion about "unnamed and unqualified social media influencers" or are we talking about LTK?

Is the value, veracity, or helpfulness of volunteer knife testing binary in nature? In other words, are those qualities all-or-nothing propositions?

Does this all reduce to a dichotomy between two groups with one group being 100% good, one group being 100% bad, and all those not sharing your personal view being of shady character and standing in the corner with the bad guys?

sometimes simple minds need to see things as binary, all good or bad.

And sometimes simple minds refuse to see reality. Bad actors are bad; no amount of wishes from their fanbase will ever change that fact.

In other words if your trusted source was proven to be lying about their content. What you do? Double down and continue to trust them and amplify your support or strike them off the list of reliable sources.

The world is not everybody gets a trophy day. As much as you may wish it was.

And sometimes simple minds refuse to see reality. Bad actors are bad; no amount of wishes from their fanbase will ever change that fact.

In other words if your trusted source was proven to be lying about their content. What you do? Double down and continue to trust them and amplify your support or strike them off the list of reliable sources.

The world is not everybody gets a trophy day. As much as you may wish it was.

Does anybody here really wish that? How does that follow from anything that has been said so far?

You're still stuck in this combative, all-or-nothing, X vs Y dynamic. Who is doubling down? I asked you some questions. You have failed to answer them.

So without meaningful engagement from you, I can only speak to the value of LTK's efforts, all the testing he has organized, and all the results he has made available for the greater community. This is work that nobody else was doing. He organized this stuff as a volunteer and helped to blaze a new trail. There was certainly a learning curve. There have certainly been challenges. There was an issue with Lionsteel that might have been better handled a different way and LTK has admitted that. I continue to disagree with LTK's position on some of the results. However, I cannot discount the value of confirming steel stamps for new or lesser-known brands.

Yes Chronovore Chronovore the whole thread is about LuvThemKnives. They did blaze a trail; right off of a cliff by making mistakes and then lying about the mistakes.

It the face of overwhelming facts they did recant temporarily. But since they've hidden that now I feel I should volunteer the facts about them ever time one of their YouTube followers signs up here for a post and run thread with their videos.

But rather than curse darkness I'd rather light a candle. I think I may have a solution. Just hang on.

Did
Did not
Did so
Didn't.

I think we've done enough laps here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back