testing new kit in the Pintler Wilderness

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by mtwarden, Aug 8, 2015.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    I put together a 5 lb kit recently and wanted to take it out for a spin; the Pintlers are really rugged and would be the perfect place to give it a whirl

the "kit"

[​IMG]

loaded up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's about a two hour drive to the trailhead and tried to get there early as possible as I had a pretty aggressive route planned. On the drive over I couldn't help but notice how hazy it was- smoke from fires in WA & CA (a few of our too). Weather was calling for hot and thunderstorms in the late afternoon and evening, hopefully not too much rain.

I headed up Page Ck and after 8-ish miles came to Page Lake

[​IMG]

it really started climbing after Page Lake up to Rainbow Pass

[​IMG]

it was only 3/4 of mile climb to Rainbow Peak so I decided to bag it, nice views all around

looking into the Page Ck drainage

[​IMG]

from there I dropped into Queener Basin (saw a small bunch of elk in one of the many meadows)

[​IMG]

I ran into a trail crew on my way to Cutaway Pass and thanked them for their work; many years ago I worked on a trail crew and have very fond memories of it

the climb to Cutaway Pass was tough, but was greeted with a nice view of Beaverhead Mtn

[​IMG]

from Cutaway Pass I dropped into the LeMarche drainage and had to lose all the precious elevation I had gained, plenty of nice views along the way though- here's West Goat Peak

[​IMG]

having a light pack while covering a lot of distance in the mountains is always advantageous :D

[​IMG]

at the head end of the West Fork of LaMarche Ck I started my final climb of the day (in the rain!) and it was doozy- 24 switchbacks later (yup I counted them) and I finally made it to Warren Lake (Warren Peak in the background)

[​IMG]

home for the night (I actually changed the pitch to a lower one as the wind started to come up)

[​IMG]

My route back the next day was only about half as long, as I needed to get home at a decent hour. It was a quick trip, but got to see some spectacularly rugged country AND pretty pleased with my kit :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    I don't know how you ultralighters do it. No matter how hard I try I can't get my load to be under 20 pounds, and its usually a lot more than that. I like bringing stuff though....more toys = more fun I guess is how I look at it lol.

Looks like a nice trip and a beautiful area for sure. But, where was the knife?? This is Bladeforums after all, ha ha :)

3. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    knife was in my pocket :D Swiss Army Bushcrafter- blade, saw, awl- simple, but effective!

4. Dave in PA

Dave in PA

Sep 23, 2000
    Thanks for sharing with us, that is some beautiful country! Could you list what all you carried so maybe I could get my typical load a bit lighter?

5. crossada

crossada Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2004
    Beautiful pics!

That pack is a bit of an eye sore though lol

6. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Nice! Was curious how those MLD packs fared. :thumbup:

7. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    thanks gents!

you bet :)

pack- is a MLD Core- 28 liters weight w/ the accessory pockets is 11.2 oz
    shelter- is a 7x9' cuben flat tarp from zpacks, w/ guys&stakes it's 7.5 oz
    sleep- is Hammock Gear 50 degree quilt w/ a additional oz of down (6 oz total 850 down), probably 40-45 rated- 12.9 oz; pad is a neoair infatible short 8.8 oz and a FlexAir inflatable pillow 0.8 oz
    cook-ti esbit stove w/ diy windscreen, SP 600 pot w/ ti lid, plastic spoon, food bag/cord/biner for hanging total 6.5 oz
    water- 2 generic 20 oz water bottle w/ Aquatabs for purification 1.5 oz
    clothing carried- rain jacket 6.2 oz, down jacket 6.8 oz, windshirt 2.4 oz, down beanie 1 oz, spare socks 1.9 oz, Buf 1.4 oz
    misc- first aid, repair, fire, map/compass, susncreen, anti-chafe, toiletries, TP- all trimmed down & repackaged, total 5.6 oz

right at 5 lbs

GLB likes this.
  8. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    That's funny I was thinking the same thing. To each their own though.

9. basb

basb

Apr 27, 2010
    Ah a fellow ultra-lighter! Wonderful photos! Already miss being out.

5 pounds is very admirable.
    I would have guessed that it was the 38L Burn. The wasabi green has something to it, not my taste though.

My baseweight is about 4.8-5.2Kg depending on the area. This summer I was in the mountains of Jämtland, Sweden and wasn't comfortable bringing a tarp so I took my Tarptent Notch instead.
    Hope to get all the photos up soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  10. Dave in PA

Dave in PA

Sep 23, 2000
    Thanks mtwarden!

11. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    thanks gents!

basb- nice looking area :)

maybe wasabi green grows on you??? :D it's also the exact same color as my Exped Lightning 65

[​IMG]

12. basb

basb

Apr 27, 2010
    The area is great. It was my first time in the mountains, proper mountains, and I can totally understand why people are drawn to them!

Don't think it wil grow on me enough to carry it, it's too.... green. I'll just stay in team hill-ninja when it comes to colour.

13. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    Looks like a twin to my UGQ 50F, but mine is 13.3oz with 5.8oz of 850. Dang it...
    Good stuff. Wish I could get away with a tarp around there this time of year-the heat, humidity, and bugs have had me mountain biking 3x/week instead of hiking, lately.

I don't know what people's problem is with the pack. My old down jacket was the same color. For some reason it was on clearance for 70% off :p

14. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    I looked at UGQ- nice stuff :)

wish my packs were 70% off for the color :D