Thanks Andy!

A few of you know that I am one of the other knifemakers here in Cumming, GA

I teach an intro to knifemaking class at the Spruill Arts Center in Dunwoody, GA. Andy has always been great at giving demos at the Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild meetings so I asked him if he would like to come show the class how he works his magic shaping handles. I am happy to say that he volunteered with no arm twisting whatsoever.

Andy spoke about what makes a comfortable grip and then showed us how he layers up the materials he uses in his grips. Then he pulled on his always-present full face mask and went to work. In a few short minutes he had sculpted a set of rectangular slabs into his signature ergonomic grip. To say that my students were impressed would be an understatement!

If you know Andy personally, you already know he is the real deal and generously shares his knowledge with those who are trying to learn the craft.

Thanks Andy!

Thanks for sharing this Paul. Yeah, I think most of us who have actually hung out with Andy get who and how he is, but it's always nice to see people share their experiences. I have spent some time hanging out with him every year at Blade, and always enjoy talking to him and being there to see him go about the show. Andy is an awesome individual. The world could use more people like him.

Oh, by the way Paul, that Cru-Forge is really some impressive stuff :)

You are welcome my friend. I was honored that you asked. I teach this to my apprentices all the time, so its second nature nowadays.

Back