thats your edc? cuz i wouldnt have known

99% of the time i see a picture of someones EDC or a knife that has been EDC'd, its in pristine shape. do you carry it and be extremely careful with it, or just keep it in your pocket to have....
as you may know (because i keep "talking" about it) i EDC a kershaw Crown. ive had it for 2 days and its already scratched. none of the knives i see on here are scratched. none! is it the lighting, or are you all just really careful with your knives.
or are they all "safe queens"....

My last two EDC's were really hard to sell because of all the cosmetic damage they had. So many scratches.

My new EDC is in pristine condition because I bought it yesterday.

Most people here have a bunch of knives so one knife doesnt end up taking all of the abuse.

I also have a couple designated beater knives if I am planning on really getting rough with something.

I think most people take a pic when they first get it so it looks nice. Or photoshop it so it looks new.

A lot of us actually carry and use knives. Like matt1987 said, most people probably snap a few pictures when they first get the knife. Then they keep using the same pictures because it's easier than taking new ones.

Here are some pictures that show some wear. So, now you can't say that there aren't any pictures of scratched up knives!

2012-02-13_07-42-04_950.jpg

2012-02-13_07-42-50_35.jpg

Mine get carried alot and used very little and i don't carry keys or anything else in that pocket.

the title should be "how do you groom your banged up EDC for ad-quality photos?" for my gerber bolt (shown with a torch II below it, EDC for >10 years) i first make sure the sharpened convex edge is shiny enough (hand lapping with metal polish on a smooth stone.) then i toothbrushed the plastiv handle to remove dirt, then rubbed oil on it to make it look darker.

scaled.php

Last edited:
all of my knives show wear and tear on at least the blade and pocket clip. a lot have scratches across the blade where i rake something like a 280 stone across it. it just doesn't bother me enough to care if it does graze the sides to be that careful. now while i'm sharpening i'm very careful to keep the same angle and sharpen properly, but once i'm done sharpening it just doesn't bother me if i accidently put a knick elsewhere.

the title should be "how do you groom your banged up EDC for ad-quality photos?" for my gerber bolt (shown with a torch II below it, EDC for >10 years) i first make sure the sharpened convex edge is shiny enough (hand lapping with metal polish on a smooth stone.) then i toothbrushed the plastiv handle to remove dirt, then rubbed oil on it to make it look darker.

scaled.php

I've fixed the link for you.

Some of us can also adjust the lighting in the photos so the scratches will either show up or we can hide them depending on what we want to show.

I use my knives. But some I do use harder than others. When I take a picture for the EDC thread, its always from that day. So what you see is what you get.

My EDC knives get carried and used, but they manage to stay in pretty good shape. I don't break rocks open with them but I open packages, sharpen a pencil, cut string, etc., so they lead a pretty easy life. Mine are always clipped in my pocket so they don't rub against keys or pens or anything else.

My EDC knives get carried and used

I remembered that I had this photo handy of my latest EDC, a Benchmade mini-Grip. The blade is a little dirty in the pic but I later cleaned it up and it came out pretty clean. My biggest problem is that the pocket clips get beat up because they are on the outside of my clothes.

photo355b.jpg

I carry it in my pocket and subject it to light use. No need to mess it up. I don't go around chopping trees in the forest, or stripping the insulation off of cables.
Sonny

Here are some pictures that show some wear. So, now you can't say that there aren't any pictures of scratched up knives!

2012-02-13_07-42-50_35.jpg

I still like those CRK's. And the Ti scratches if you look sideways at it. I think the only one with a bit of honest use on it is the 710. It has served you well, I trust.
Sonny

I find that years of washing my knife with a 3M Scotchbright pad tends to give it a patina of faint scratches that aren't noticeable unless you look close. Big scratches ? The knife's hardened steel, what's going to scratch it ? Most ugly looking knives just have some glue on the blades. If you want a worn looking knife you should get a coated blade. That stuff comes right off.

Last edited:
Back