The 2013 HTM group buy knife.

I figure it's never too early to start right?

This place has been dead while we all wait anyway.

I want a Snap w/ carbon fiber inlays, thumb stud delete (without leaving a hole) and reversible up/down clip.

Color and blade steel can stay the same.

I'm cool with any of the three models mentioned so far: Madd Maxx, AXD, or Snap. I do have to admit, though, that the AXD would be my first choice. I think it'd be totally awesome to do a forum version of the AXD with a super steel blade and anodizing on the Ti handles. One thing that wouldn't be possible on the AXD, though, is Maxx Glide opening: as I mentioned in a post after seeing some of the HTM AXDs at the CA Custom Knife Show back in October, Darrel explained to me that because the AXD (and its predecessor, the Aftermath) predates Maxx Glide, the design of the handle slabs and pivot area (the way it's cut plus the thickness) isn't such that it can accommodate Maxx Glide.

Another configuration I'd be interested in seeing would be a HTM Madd Maxx with a different blade grind, as well as the a super steel and different handle color, of course. I'm a big fan of the current spear point shape but don't really like the fullers ("blood grooves") that the stock model has. A spear point with a high flat grind, though, would be my perfect HTM Madd Maxx.

Let's hear some input from others about what they'd like to see on next year's knife!

I think the AXD and the Maxx might be a little out of people's price ranges though.

I agree AXD would get expensive! Especially with expensive steel! I would like to seeing with high performance steel and FFG.

I think the AXD and the Maxx might be a little out of people's price ranges though.
Very true. It also might be difficult to decide on a blade size (unless Darrel could allow choice of the 3-, 4-, or 5.5-inch versions as one of the options for each person to choose from). I love big knives and don't have any blade length restrictions where I live, so a 4" or 5.5" Madd Maxx or AXD would be great for me; the version with 3" blade would be too small for my liking. But I know for a lot of people personal preference and/or legal restrictions might make the 4 and especially 5.5 versions a deal-breaker. By contrast, the 3.5" blade length of the HTM Gunhammer and Lightfoot/Lambert models seems to be a sweet spot for a lot of people.

One other possibility would be the upcoming 4" titanium framelock HTM Gunhammer, which should be out by the time we're finalizing a group buy for next year's forum knife. Since it's a Ti framelock, we'd still have the same potential issue with it being out of some people's price range, but I'm just throwing it out there as another possibility.

I'm starting to think, though, that the Lambert would be the perfect choice for a group buy. Aside from the price and blade length being a good fit for most people, if we got a CF/LSCF inlay instead of the frag pattern on the handle, it'd really allow us to use the special order to replace something that a lot of us aren't huge fans of (the frag pattern) with something we'd like a lot more. (Obviously, we'd also customize the blade steel and other stuff as well.)

I'm starting to think, though, that the Lambert would be the perfect choice for a group buy. Aside from the price and blade length being a good fit for most people, if we got a CF/LSCF inlay instead of the frag pattern on the handle, it'd really allow us to use the special order to replace something that a lot of us aren't huge fans of (the frag pattern) with something we'd like a lot more. (Obviously, we'd also customize the blade steel and other stuff as well.)

DUDE! I was just thinking the same thing, the lambert design is a very good platform.

Lambert Design
CF/LSCF Inlay
High Performance Steel

Would be perfect!! Come on who else is down for a HTM Lambert Forum Knife!?

Not me. I have to say, the Lambert design just doesn't do it for me. I love the Gunny, and the AXD and Maxx are on my list; thing is, they would have to be pretty special to make me buy one, and a forum knife is just the ticket for that sort of thing. AXD would probably be my number 1 choice for another one (maybe with some sort of machined texturing like on the Gunny or interesting inlay). And, ya know, we've got probably more than a year to save up. Put aside 10 bucks a week here and there (eat ramen instead of a burger, for instance, or drink a few fewer cans of beer, etc), and in a year, you'll have saved up over 500 dollars. Basically, save 50 bucks a month here and there, and that should be pretty darn close to enough to pay for whatever awesome thing we cook up next.

Keep in mind that we're not necessarily limited to one knife per year, except by "real life" things like our budgets and the wrath of significant others. If we can get 25+ commitments for a given configuration, Darrel will make it.

Having said that, it's been a ton of work managing this process, so if we're going to do it again -- let alone more than once per year -- I'd definitely want to streamline the process and fix some of the things that didn't work as well this time around. This would include, most importantly, a hard deadline for commitments/deposits/finalization of the order, and a quicker turnaround on polls and other configuration decisions.

Keep in mind that we're not necessarily limited to one knife per year, except by "real life" things like our budgets and the wrath of significant others. If we can get 25+ commitments for a given configuration, Darrel will make it.

Having said that, it's been a ton of work managing this process, so if we're going to do it again -- let alone more than once per year -- I'd definitely want to streamline the process and fix some of the things that didn't work as well this time around. This would include, most importantly, a hard deadline for commitments/deposits/finalization of the order, and a quicker turnaround on polls and other configuration decisions.

I agree. I'm willing to pitch in as much as possible again.

Maybe we can reach out to Darrel and see if there is a particular model he would like to do a sprint run of. He might shy away from the Lightfoot and the Kirby because they are too new.

Back