The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Should we start a 2020 thread? It might be easier to load up.

Good idea!

Hi everyone,

About 2 months to spring (more or less depending where you live), and I figure a few of you have some plans to discuss, notes to compare, and photos.

I'm reduced to my several house plants and snow removal which is fine, and I'm looking forward to everyone's 2020 gardening activities, projects and other escapades. (Maybe I'll have better luck this year.:p Or more skill!)

Last edited:
Great! I just stopped for a break in the middle of snowblowing, still sitting here in my Sorels and snoveralls :D - just checking in and see ... we're gardening again.

The checkout clerk at Canadian Tire suggested I was pushing the season but I was happy to see the racks of seeds on offer again. These are new to me - I'm game to try. I've often used the pelleted seeds and they've been successful - these should plant and grow themselves according to the hype (well, maybe not plant themselves). Non-GMO seeds, organic raw honey, fish fertilizer and active charcoal in a capsule "All the ingredients for easy, successful growing" I'll report back of course. I noted four types - hummingbird mix, California Wonder pepper, Early Girl hybrid tomato and hanging basket mix.

Has anyone had experience with these in past?

DSCF8391 MCKENZIE SMART START SEED CAPSULES 650 MED.jpg

Hummingbird hotel! Here we come!

I’ve never seen those, but they sound promising. When do you start them? Indoors? Outdoors?

The peppers and tomatoes say sow indoors 6-8 weeks prior to last frost, then transplant out when danger of frost is past. Zone 4a last frost is "24th May" ... but in containers I can push that by a month by moving them out to warm sunshine then back inside for overnight/cold (so may plant end Feb or so). Hummingbird mix says plant outside so end May (Lupine Russell, Zinnia Giant Double Enchantress and Cardinal Climber - which will need a trellis).

Pretty standard instructions for annuals. Glad to see the new 2020 thread. I was considering such, but resisted as I really didn't have much to post.

Here is a picture of my largest broccoli and a developing cauliflower in the regular garden. I have since picked the broccoli, but I have other plants that have developed to be almost as large in the last week. The broccoli is hand sized. Cauliflower are about ready to pick now too; they're about twice the pictured size. Winter in TN....
IMG_5894ed.jpg IMG_5895ed.jpg

Getting colder now that the front has past. Going to be a sub freezing week.

<z>
Here is a picture of my largest broccoli and a developing cauliflower in the regular garden. I have since picked the broccoli, but I have other plants that have developed to be almost as large in the last week. The broccoli is hand sized. Cauliflower are about ready to pick now too; they're about twice the pictured size. Winter in TN....
Getting colder now that the front has past. Going to be a sub freezing week.

Crops in January! Very nice indeed ...

All we're growing here at 'Spaniel Crossing' outside is snow ... but the mild temps in between storms has kept the depth under control. Minus 11F this morning. Great traction and sparkly snowbanks ... lots of finches and chickadees at the feeders. Sunshine!

Yesterday, following the snowstorm on Sat, I had to warm up the snowblower under a tarp with my propane heater :eek: ... not usually a good sign ... but the day turned sunny with not too much wind to blow that freezing drift into my face. Feeling accomplished after the lane clearing.

The river is open only in some rare spots. Never ice one could trust with the flow and current.

DSCF8402 ROADWAY RIVER SNOW 650 MED.jpg

Those are my warm down-filled mittens (Note: not gardening gloves :D) set on snowbank in foreground - perfect day for them. Daisy and Dez stay away from the road always (well, now that they are old and sensible ... no longer dopey pups!)

DSCF8404 SPANIEL CROSSING LANE HOUSE SNOW DAISY DEZ 650 MED.jpg

taldesta taldesta Was hoping you would give us a snow update. :thumbsup: I suspected the storm this past weekend hit you pretty hard. Stay warm and active! 25*F here this morning. Ice on the bird baths.... kitties all doing their thing.....

My indoor-outdoor digital thermometer does not show temperature decimals, just whole numbers. Probably a reasonable thing considering if you had two, both would show a slightly different temperature. My test case is in my garage. One shows about a 1 degree lower temp just about all the time. I just recently placed thermometers in my garage as I was curious just how cold it gets and the temperature difference relative to the outdoors. Does it matter? Nope.

Last edited:
taldesta taldesta Wow! Great job! You could give Einstein a lesson or two or three...We hired him after a blizzard--couldn't negotiate the street--and he can't hold a candle to you!

Sure is pretty and white! That's one of the main problems with city snowfall, IMO, it gets dirty and nasty and sits there looking rather ugly for the duration.

ETA: is one photo missing? Gloves?

taldesta taldesta Wow! Great job! You could give Einstein a lesson or two or three...We hired him after a blizzard--couldn't negotiate the street--and he can't hold a candle to you!

Sure is pretty and white! That's one of the main problems with city snowfall, IMO, it gets dirty and nasty and sits there looking rather ugly for the duration.

ETA: is one photo missing? Gloves?
Mittens are on snowbank in 2nd pic; gloves are integral to mitten - hope that answers the Q :). Einstein should meet my Ariens snowblower ... a workhorse in the snow - believe me, it's not me alone vs snow - I would never win.

Yeah, country snow stays white :thumbsup:

Mittens are on snowbank in 2nd pic; gloves are integral to mitten - hope that answers the Q :). Einstein should meet my Ariens snowblower ... a workhorse in the snow - believe me, it's not me alone vs snow - I would never win.

Yeah, country snow stays white :thumbsup:
OK. I see them. I thought that it looked like a keg (or something?)! Don't know what a keg would be doing there. I keep my monitor on the dimmest possible light, and it barely showed up--I was impressed by the height of the snow!

Somehow, I never thought his issue was equipment related--and he has a HUGE rig plus his 40 y/o son to help.;) But I can mention it.

Height of snow is from town plough at road ... combined with strategically low camera angle. Snow is taking its time, coming and going this winter - not all that deep yet.

Snowblower is very small, 24" walk-behind Ariens with pneumatic tires (& chains). Electric start which is a lifesaver for me. It was second hand to me in 2006 and has worked long laneways every year since with very little maintenance.

Sweet and mighty piece of equipment for the property IMO.

DSCF8285 SNOWBLOWER ARIENS SNOW 650 MED.jpg

In action at my last digs.

DSCF1607  SNOWBLOWER ARIENS ANOW VAN DIGS 650 MED.jpg

A blast of the icy drift on the wind that hits you in the face can take your breath away!

DSCF1611  SNOWBLOWER ARIENS PLUMS VAN DIGS 650 MED.jpg

Like the action shots! :D

I have some tulips poking out of the ground now as well as daffodils. This cold weather won't help things.

Grew Broccoli this winter and just harvested it yesterday. Great salad today and a Shrimp stir fry tomorrow.
Getting my peppers started to put out in early March.
Growing Death Spiral, Apocolypse chocolate, Skunk Chocolate, 7 pot bubblegum..to name a few superhots.
Also some more Italian Sweet stuffing peppers and the usual corn.
Pics to come ;-)

Well I learned something the hard way.... I believe all of my cauliflower is kaputt due to the sub 25*F temps. The part you eat are brown and turning to mush. Broccoli appear to be okay. So, I conclude that broccoli are more cold hardy. I don't have much experience with growing cauliflower during the colder months. Hindsight is always 20-20. Guess I should have picked the heads before this cold weather hit. Oh well....

The cauliflower plants appear to be okay; just not the heads. So, maybe they will continue to produce??

Added: Thinking seriously of ordering a pack of a certain hybrid tomato seeds. This is one you don't see at garden centers and I haven't tried to grow tomatoes from seed in years.

Last edited:
22-rimfire 22-rimfire My sense is that the cauliflower head has a lot more water content in its structure subject to freezing temps than broccoli has. For example, cauliflower (not broccoli) can be overcooked in liquid mediums such as milk (or substitute) or flavouring such as mushroom broth - and then blended to become a creamy basis for soups or even desserts such as vanilla pudding. Yikes, don't I wish I could have camouflaged broccoli and other veggies as easily for the kids!

SW-EDC SW-EDC This past growing season I had tried peppers seriously having been encouraged by @LEGION 12 in past. Although Death Spiral and such other hot varieties as pot bubblegum would likely drive out the wild turkeys from dust-bathing in the veg garden (& I couldn't have that) I'm giving it a go again this coming summer - but all sweet and simple. Looking forward to your pics :thumbsup:

Makes a lot of sense as far as the difference between Cauliflower and Broccoli relative to cold hardiness. I just never thought about it.

Added Friday, 1/24/20: The cauliflower heads seem to be slowly turning white again. I almost cut them off. Will do a wait and see on this one. I'm just learning on cauliflower. Night time temps are predicted to be just about freezing or slightly above for the next week.

I ordered the tomato seeds. Shipping was ridiculous for a pack of seeds that will fit inside an envelope.

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense as far as the difference between Cauliflower and Broccoli relative to cold hardiness. I just never thought about it.

Added Friday, 1/24/20: The cauliflower heads seem to be slowly turning white again. I almost cut them off. Will do a wait and see on this one. I'm just learning on cauliflower. Night time temps are predicted to be just about freezing or slightly above for the next week.

I ordered the tomato seeds. Shipping was ridiculous for a pack of seeds that will fit inside an envelope.
One thing about the hybrid tomato seeds ... you can't (edit to correct) collect for next spring. Or they may just sprout like weeds from fallen fruit of the upcoming season. I find I'm always weeding out errant tomato plants from the previous year's crop. Tomatoes are survivors.

Please keep us posted about the cauliflower ... interesting.

Last edited:
One thing about the hybrid tomato seeds ... you can collect for next spring. Or they may just sprout like weeds from fallen fruit of the upcoming season. I find I'm always weeding out errant tomato plants from the previous year's crop. Tomatoes are survivors.
It's the hybrid varieties that the seeds are not true. I think you can collect seeds from what they call heirloom tomatoes and replant. Yes to lots of volunteer tomato plants. I generally yank them. They never really do very well if you let them grow.

...I ordered the tomato seeds. Shipping was ridiculous for a pack of seeds that will fit inside an envelope.
Canceled my order. I ordered the seeds because the catalog said they were "determinant" (vs indeterminant). I wanted to grow it in a container and always looking for a better variety. I called the company and asked if they were determinant. The girl barely knew what I was talking about and barely answered indicating the catalog says determinant, hence they are determinant.... I was thinking the regular variety was not. Anyway, did some checking and the variety is commonly available here in the spring as plants and the variety is in fact the same as I have grown for years. So, I emailed them and hopefully cancel the order and get a credit. The variety is considered "semi-determinant" not determinant. I'll get store bought plants when the time comes as they tend to be fatter than what I have grown in the past.

Last edited:
Back