The 99 2000

FPH

I just took my large 2000 Damascus wood inlayed Sebenza apart for the first time for cleaning and lubrication. I found 99 stamped inside both handle slabs. I am curious how common this is. Obviously some stock from one year might be used in the following year but with the popularity of these knives how much stock can be leftover? Also, why stamp the slabs? Quality control? Tracking? History?

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

When they set up a CNC to mill the handles for the wood inlays, they do a larger run than what they actually need for the year. In 1999, they made enough handles to last through like 2001-2-3 or something like that. When I ordered my woody last year, I asked about getting one without the "under the clip cutout". I was told I would have to wait a couple years until they ran out of the stock they currently had.

They stamp the slabs as an internal tracking/history deal I believe.

Thanks for the info Superman.

Anne, anything further?

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

Not really - we don't run as many handles at a time as Superman indicated but we do run a good quantity. (Setup time is expensive but so is high work-in-progress inventory!) It would be perfectly feasible that handles profiled toward the end of one year are dated for the following year. The inside marking are just for internal records keeping and have no notable significance.

Anne

[This message has been edited by Chris Reeve Knives (edited 04-21-2001).]

Back