The Adventures of Pearl !!! Host list post's #22 and #23

rl6AuFg.jpg

The Royal Armouries Museum holds one of the largest and most historically important collections of arms and armour in the world, which are housed in a building especially built for the purpose of displaying them. Sadly, budget cuts in recent years have led to job losses and a reduction in facilities at the site, but entry is still free of charge, and it's well worth a visit.

https://royalarmouries.org/venue/royal-armouries-museum/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Armouries_Museum

GdHUrwx.jpg

From the outside, in the photos above, you can see the 'Hall of Steel', which we'll see a bit more of shortly.

E76adxF.jpg

Canal Wharf is next to the museum.

K92iSoj.jpg

TzJupDZ.jpg

DoWGnfv.jpg

jpulKaa.jpg

wa235mk.jpg

LQw2oue.jpg

I've posted pics from the museum in the past, and quite recently, but I'll just take Pearl in for a few highlights.

sFcn4xk.jpg

Starting with the Hall of Steel of course :) I wouldn't fancy doing the dusting! :eek:

MpDIs4K.jpg

5h741EH.jpg

HqZoZhB.jpg

Fantastic!

After our arrival at Granary Wharf, I decided to show Pearl one of Leeds' hidden treasures. Work on the train station began in 1866, and 18 Million brick were used to build a series of vast arches spanning the River Aire. Impossible to capture their eerie Phibesian majesty with my point and shoot camera and poor camera skills I'm afraid :(

DwuoYnE.jpg

SijMA2B.jpg

Emerging below the station, we walked up into the centre of the city.

c4cQAJn.jpg

OqMe7gM.jpg

fAtysON.jpg

hV4GePi.jpg

c3zJFj1.jpg

23TDMg6.jpg
You are a wonderful tour guide, Jack. Fabulous pics.

While we were at the Royal Armouries, I had noticed that it was War of the Roses Weekend at the museum a couple of days hence, with various activities being held there, including a 'recreation' of the Battle of Towton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton). So, on Sunday morning, me and Pearl headed back to the Armouries, crossing Millennium Bridge, and crossing Brewery Wharf.

lzj8Vv5.jpg

BmTlLg5.jpg

fNUNWOn.jpg

1PaBeCy.jpg

The battle was to be held on the Armouries Tilt Yard, which used to host jousting and combat displays every couple of hours until they made the horseman redundant :( There were a group of re-enactors assembled, though they were actually just going to re-enact the Battle of Dintingdale, which took place just before Towton.

oJI5jrg.jpg

v8kDYQE.jpg

rlJiOOg.jpg

aroZdOZ.jpg

LxGBndQ.jpg

a4HDXR1.jpg

nRIyj2l.jpg

n7sOa3D.jpg

As the fateful hour approached, the armies began to assemble in front of a rather partisan Yorkist crowd! :eek:

SdLT4W5.jpg

JlJjW7n.jpg

There was little chance of peace breaking out however :rolleyes:

aEx6jZt.jpg

eWykjgl.jpg

IzTFXxl.jpg

XZDQMQt.jpg

X2teuyb.jpg

RMl6vGu.jpg

Somebody was bound to get hurt with one of those arrows eventually! :eek:

rupazV9.jpg

CkPfMRG.jpg

The forces closed!

w1VER9k.jpg

vcA0QjF.jpg

And clashed!

RWtpTV0.jpg

qOXPcfq.jpg

52kMJef.jpg

While we were at the Royal Armouries, I had noticed that it was War of the Roses Weekend at the museum a couple of days hence, with various activities being held there, including a 'recreation' of the Battle of Towton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton). So, on Sunday morning, me and Pearl headed back to the Armouries, crossing Millennium Bridge, and crossing Brewery Wharf.

lzj8Vv5.jpg

BmTlLg5.jpg

fNUNWOn.jpg

1PaBeCy.jpg

The battle was to be held on the Armouries Tilt Yard, which used to host jousting and combat displays every couple of hours until they made the horseman redundant :( There were a group of re-enactors assembled, though they were actually just going to re-enact the Battle of Dintingdale, which took place just before Towton.

oJI5jrg.jpg

v8kDYQE.jpg

rlJiOOg.jpg

aroZdOZ.jpg

LxGBndQ.jpg

a4HDXR1.jpg

nRIyj2l.jpg

n7sOa3D.jpg

Thanks for taking us along, Jack. I feel like a Connecticut Yankee! ;)

Wonderful Jack! I just love the history and the love of that history personified by your countrymen. Outstanding it is that they care enough to perpetuate the traditions of old. Long may these attitudes and dedications live. Thanks man for sharing it with us. I'll bet Pearl was impressed.
As I have said before, you have a magnificent country and I really enjoy what you share with us.

Thanks for taking us along, Jack. I feel like a Connecticut Yankee! ;)

Thanks Vince, a great yarn that :) I remember seeing the 1949 film when I was just a tiddler! :D :thumbsup:

Wonderful Jack! I just love the history and the love of that history personified by your countrymen. Outstanding it is that they care enough to perpetuate the traditions of old. Long may these attitudes and dedications live. Thanks man for sharing it with us. I'll bet Pearl was impressed.
As I have said before, you have a magnificent country and I really enjoy what you share with us.

Thank you very much Dwight, you are very kind :) :thumbsup:

Is it wrong that I keep looking for the TARDIS in all your pictures? :D

Hey, what's that's that I see outside Sheffield Town Hall?! :eek:

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8062.JPG

(Anyone else having trouble with Imgur today, mine's about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard, I was trying to upload those pics for over 2 hours, before finally using the BF function o_O)

Hi Jack, thanks for your fantastic posts especially of the Royal Armouries, it looked like a fun day out.:thumbsup:
They had a re-enactment camp at St' Mary's Priory in Old Malton weekend before last where the crowd could have a crack at some medieval fighting and longbow but I sadly had to miss it. :(
Looking forward to more posts. :thumbsup:

Hi Jack, thanks for your fantastic posts especially of the Royal Armouries, it looked like a fun day out.:thumbsup:
They had a re-enactment camp at St' Mary's Priory in Old Malton weekend before last where the crowd could have a crack at some medieval fighting and longbow but I sadly had to miss it. :(
Looking forward to more posts. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much David :) I still have some more pics to post, but I was thinking of getting Pearl's luggage together and waving her goodbye? ;) :thumbsup:

Here she is outside Sheffield City Hall today :thumbsup:

T8Gt18H.jpg

Thank you very much David :) I still have some more pics to post, but I was thinking of getting Pearl's luggage together and waving her goodbye? ;) :thumbsup:

Here she is outside Sheffield City Hall today :thumbsup:

T8Gt18H.jpg

Excellent plan Jack. I'm sure Pearl would love to see the wrong side of them 'ills... ;):D
Of course, it's St' George's Day next week, so she'll miss the inevitable vexillogical confusion atop Sheffield Town Hall...:rolleyes:

Thanks Vince, a great yarn that :) I remember seeing the 1949 film when I was just a tiddler! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Dwight, you are very kind :) :thumbsup:

Hey, what's that's that I see outside Sheffield Town Hall?! :eek:

View attachment 1111523

View attachment 1111525

View attachment 1111527

(Anyone else having trouble with Imgur today, mine's about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard, I was trying to upload those pics for over 2 hours, before finally using the BF function o_O)
I'm afraid to say what those green boxes remind me of. But it's not "police" boxes or phone booths! :eek:

Back