The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hey Nathan, thanks for taking the time. Man when it comes to your work and the way your pride kicks in, no one explains the status and the processes better than you do.

I hope that you will have one in the (almost) final version to take to Blade 2020 :) No I won’t be there but I want you to show it off and make some more money on this pattern because I doubt very much if the preorder numbers made too much financial sense!

I know that Dr. Dan Keffeler brought his prototype last year and will most likely have more of ‘em but your iteration ought to sell quite a few more when people see it and touch it which will create more buzz about it :)

I’ll be happy to wait and get mine even if I have to wait another 12 months from today because I feel that you offered us such a sweet deal on these K18s :thumbsup:

What do you mean, you’re not going to make it? I thought you, Bob, and I were going to steal a ratty old station wagon and have a road trip. Man, am I disappointed. :p Mike

Blade Show or Bust!
LzDjgSf.jpg

Where do you source your natural micarta? I’d like to get a bit and try my hand at making some pistol scales to match my OG field knife.

It is Accurate Acculam made in Yonkers New York. How thick do you need? I might have a drop laying around.

It is Accurate Acculam made in Yonkers New York. How thick do you need? I might have a drop laying around.
That's amazingly generous. It will be on a ruger bisley which has grips a little less than 3"x4", so 3" x 8" or 6" x 4" for two. 1/2" thick would be ideal, but as thin as 3/8" would be fine since I prefer thinner grips to go with my smallish hands.

What hex key size do the standard stainless fasteners have? I'm guessing it's 3/32" since my 2 mm hex key was too small and 2.5 mm too big. Also do the fasteners have loctite in them?

I just received my pre-order FK2 (sooner than I expected, thank you for the awesome knife) and the (burlap) scales are ever so slightly protruding past the tang on the butt end of the knife where the fingers land, so I'm considering taking off the scales and giving them a little sanding to smooth out the transition. It's such a small amount that you can barely feel it, but you can catch it with your fingernail. I'm guessing it's the last fastener hole in the tang that is doing it since it's the same amount on both scales. Maybe couple thousands of an inch or something ridiculous, but now that I have noticed it I can't un-feel it. As a machinist you probably know well how small tolerances can be felt when rubbing across material transitions.

Unrelated, I have to say that the "utility grade" machining marks on the FK2 are barely visible, maybe even slightly less visible than on my UF.

Probably someone other than Nathan can and will answer but I was just wondering about the scales on the EDC1 compared to the EDC2 … I believe they are a bit different but do they fit both knives? or are they independent to each version?

What hex key size do the standard stainless fasteners have? I'm guessing it's 3/32" since my 2 mm hex key was too small and 2.5 mm too big. Also do the fasteners have loctite in them?

I just received my pre-order FK2 (sooner than I expected, thank you for the awesome knife) and the (burlap) scales are ever so slightly protruding past the tang on the butt end of the knife where the fingers land, so I'm considering taking off the scales and giving them a little sanding to smooth out the transition. It's such a small amount that you can barely feel it, but you can catch it with your fingernail. I'm guessing it's the last fastener hole in the tang that is doing it since it's the same amount on both scales. Maybe couple thousands of an inch or something ridiculous, but now that I have noticed it I can't un-feel it. As a machinist you probably know well how small tolerances can be felt when rubbing across material transitions.

Unrelated, I have to say that the "utility grade" machining marks on the FK2 are barely visible, maybe even slightly less visible than on my UF.

They are 3/32.

Yes there is loctite.

There was a German knight who got his hand shot off by a cannon in 1504 and he wore a series of articulated iron hands after that, including into battle. The name of this absolute legend was Gots von Berlichingen, and his catch phrase was Er kann mich im Arsche lecken ("he can lick me in the arse").

View attachment 1276460

View attachment 1276459

One please?

Back