The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. TheTennesseeD

TheTennesseeD Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Nathan,
    Have you ever considered doing a take on a bowie type design? If you appreciate that design, just curious what are some examples of outstanding makers/models you admire?
    Best,
    ~D

Odog27 likes this.
  2. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    ~ I am not Nathan.

3. TheTennesseeD

TheTennesseeD Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks! I look forward to reading all of this.

4. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Nathan's comments on the Bowie are interesting. I appreciate his dispassionate analytical approach to what he does and agree that CPK shouldn't do a Bowie. I can have a shelf full of cool knives, but reaching for one to cut something, it will often be a CPK. On the other hand something like a Bagwell cable damascus Bowie (complete with debatable steel and unscientific heat treat) can speak to you, or at least to me, in a different way. It's best to have both!

5. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I don't think he was expressing what you should have, only what he wants to concentrate on making.

Box_Opener, Brian77, Mike157 and 5 others like this.
  6. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    Agreed. I agree with his approach for CPK, I just get excited about a wide variety of less functional styles also.

duramax, Mike157, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  7. Brummie

Jan 13, 2007
    And I also have a number of "traditional" bowies in my collection. I think the main point with bowies is that they're dueling knives, but dueling with a knife is pretty stupid. Knives are only primary weapons where concealment and stealth are paramount, which is the opposite of dueling. Before firearms, they'd be combined with a primary weapon as a main gauche, or to dispatch an already incapacitated armored opponent.
    I think the enduring appeal of bowies in actual use is for folks who like to carry a big knife in the field and are willing to sacrifice a bit of utility for pointy-ness, in case of that 1-in-1,000,000 circumstance where they're attacked by something on 2 or 4 legs, but don't have a more suitable tool to repel it.
    Anyway, we're probably getting off topic.

8. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I read some older threads about WIP on Shiv.
    I want to ask if you are still machining the whole knife from a bar of steel, or did you switch to laser/water jet for cutting a blank and then machining?

Also, would you put a pink G10 on your personal knife?

9. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    no I do not use laser or water jet. I have experimented with that in the past but it is not a good process for me.

I have the steel made. It comes to me as raw plate. I process it here. My process has evolved some over time, naturally, but we started out as a machine shop before moving into knife production so we have a pretty good range of capabilities in-house. Our process has changed quite a bit since that WIP thread, but it is overall pretty close to how we do things here.

No, I probably would not use pink on my personal knife. Personally I tend to lean towards understated, not flashy. My personal Shiv has plain natural micarta. Micarta.

G10 isn't terrible, but it's heavy and despite being harder than micarta it doesn't wear as well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    duramax, ironwagon, vkp78 and 10 others like this.
  10. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    Nathan, it's time to come clean...we know about the pink shivs!

11. Brummie

Jan 13, 2007
    "Pink shiv" sounds . . er . . unfortunate. Can we not use that expression?

bluemax_1, woodysone, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  12. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Sounds like something that would be discussed in W&C:D

Add sprinkles and call it the Dessert Shiv!:thumbsup:

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    How about "purple headed love warrior"?

14. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

15. AR-Trvlr

AR-Trvlr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2009
    If a pink shiv is the CPK PHLV, does that mean that the code name for the integral shiv is the love warrior? Do I need to add an entry to the encyclopedia? Is this the next insider 'fluffer' joke?

duramax, vkp78, benchrest308 and 6 others like this.
  16. Brummie

Jan 13, 2007
    Sorry, no idea what that is.

Would you be referring to the Purple-helmeted Hussars? Famed for their handiness with Pork Sword or Spam Javelin, and commanded by the One-eyed General?

jus_gus, Odog27, SwarthyGnome and 4 others like this.
  17. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    What is a trench sword?

I’ve googled and can only come up with trench daggers, and each seems to have different characteristics.

Are there any defining characteristics you could mention? And is there a rough length in mind?

I have no idea what it is or will look like, yet I already know I need it. o_O

jus_gus, benchrest308, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  18. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Hey Nathan, whatre the chances of doing the integral dagger for the general population here? Pre order? Now that you have the KOD piece under your belt...?

jus_gus, Odog27 and fatfrog like this.
  19. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Some things are better if they remain elusive, Dan. The chase of the almost unattainable is the thrill. If there were a hundred of them out there, they would not be as special.

woodysone, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  20. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    ^ well that and they're a demonstration piece that I haven't figured out how to make a profit on. No one would want to pay what I would need to charge for those to make sense for me.

woodysone, duramax, jus_gus and 8 others like this.