The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not unusual to find grit and rock in the bark and wood near the base of a tree. And certainly in the soil around it.

This was our goal with optimized 3V, to achieve a level of durability at narrow edge angles against this kind of edge damage similar to other high performance steels like Infi. This is why we run our choppers harder than most, the dents are less severe when you inevitably do hit a rock. The steel is durable, but (like anything) it's going to take some dings if you're using it with abandon. Which is the best way to use it. Put a micro bevel on it at 25 DPS and get 90% of the dings out and go smash the shit out of some more stuff, that what it's for. If you pick up a real ding that's going to require water cooled powered sharpening, send it back in for some love. :thumbsup:

2. klugtrane

klugtrane

Aug 16, 2020
    I'm not great at holding fixed angles either and have tried a few different approaches. I agree with others that you're not putting a scalpel edge on these things it's less critical to get all the nicks and catches out.

I've been using (and mostly find ok) something like the Ruxin Pro sharpening system from Amazon (of which there are a hundred different names). I run mine with Edge Pro stones, and it's close to fool proof. You can adjust the angle to match the primary bevel (if you do want to move the bevel back to get the nicks out), and it's easy for me to get a good edge with that and a strop.

jus_gus, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Nathan, want to make a forum knife? One that has "Bladeforums" or "Bladeforums 2021" stamped onto it some place. That would be cool.

abbydaddy, jus_gus, BIGDORK and 3 others like this.
  4. vkp78

vkp78 Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    @Nathan the Machinist , make some room in the inbox please. Its not an obtuse question.......this time

5. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Only time I am ever able to PM with Nathan is when he sends one to me telling me I am being a dick on the forum. Then, I reply thinking the door is open and he just ignores me. No love from that guy at all, good luck.

jus_gus, Mike157, BIGDORK and 11 others like this.
  6. vkp78

vkp78 Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Hahahahaha

7. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    If you ever really need his attention like RIGHT NOW, post something with both his last name and 'retained austentite' on it.....:oops:

[​IMG]

jus_gus, Murphjd25, Mike157 and 13 others like this.
  8. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    F*%k no! Isn’t that like saying Beetlejuice three times?

jus_gus, Murphjd25, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  9. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh yes. He will do bad things to your precious

[​IMG]

jus_gus, Mike157, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  10. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    It's not enough to destroy (decompose) it. It will just decompose into something shitty. That's like re-heated coffee. It's not the same.

jus_gus, Mike157, Box_Opener and 6 others like this.
  11. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    NEVER re heat coffee, drink it cold or send it to me.

jus_gus, woodysone, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  12. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Nathan,
    Will the Notakatana have a purposeful design phase where the blade, geometry and overall form will be engineered toward some intended purpose?

I'm thinking of the effort into design and testing and tweaking on the K18 with the end goal in mind.

Or will it be like the Kephart with an emphasis of historical faithfulness?

13. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    A87EC890-21B8-49C0-834C-C3571790D9FB.jpeg

jus_gus, SharpPancake, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  14. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Well, he IS calling it a Notta-Katana...

15. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    jus_gus, vkp78, SwarthyGnome and 3 others like this.
  16. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    ^ holy crap that is horrible. I would never do something like that. They have their target setting on what appears to be a stone boulder. You're going to wreck your shit with that kind of nonsense. Use a wooden stump or something.

17. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    I think it's a pile of sand, to absorb the blood?

jus_gus, Odog27, BIGDORK and 3 others like this.
  18. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
  19. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I was thinking sand when I saw that. Makes sense from a blood splattering perspective as well, sand guzzles blood

jus_gus, SwarthyGnome and Odog27 like this.
  20. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Why does it look like the guy is enjoying it?