The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

But Nathan, couldn't a sharpened clip point on the back of the blade provide similar advantages for cutting through webbing/fibers...

Obviously requiring a different angle of attack vs serrations to get the cutting benefit from the leading point but the utility is there.

Whatever you would call this type of knife,

I think the utility and advantages to a claw shaped clip point are undeniable.

Every night I dream of such a knife from CPK, and every morning I cry into my pancake batter realizing it was just a dream.

Perhaps I am being irrational.

Lots of people make these clip pointed knives.

Except, I guess I feel like if you personally have a lot of disdain for the knife, you're a great candidate to make one that doesn't suck.

All the other stuff you guys have in the pipeline will be keeping you busy, I'm sure.

Still figured I'd ask.

Every night man. Every morning. Tears in my batter.

How old is the current batch of antique micarta (approx.)? Sorry if this has been answered before, I looked through about 30 pages of posts and my eyes started to cross.

Has CPK considered producing a thin, .125, scandi zero grind bushcraft model? Maybe 3.75 or 4 inch blade? 90 degree spine, pommel for smashing stuff up, leather sheath, etc.

Well hell, I'll ask.....

Oh Nathan, what does this cryptic, little nugget from the EDC sale yesterday mean?

Come by our forum in two weeks, we will try to have something a little different

If time permits I am going to try to do a small batch of affordable "beater grade" EDC's from some blems that we have accumulated. The tentative plan is an acid etch, a tumble and then a hand ground bevel to make them visually different than standard.

How old is the current batch of antique micarta (approx.)? Sorry if this has been answered before, I looked through about 30 pages of posts and my eyes started to cross.

It's impossible to know because it is being salvaged from a shape that has already been machined so any labels from the manufacturer is removed. I can speculate however. This material came from a boat builder who had been using it for a bearing application a long time ago. This happened in the industry during the 1950's when it was replacing a greasy hardwood called lignum vitae for an output shaft bearing application where the prop shaft exits the hull of the ship. It didn't take long for better materials to be developed which suggests to me this material was probably made some time between 1940-1960. This is also substantiated by the depth of the oxygen penetration darkening that has gone all the way to the center of a thick section which I have not seen in micarta that is only 10-20 years old. Based on that, I'll speculate it's probably at least 40 years old and possibly as much as 80 years old.

Although is it impossible to know who made it, it is visually very similar in translucency and color to this known sample:

westinghouse.jpg~original

Lignum vitae, an mind blowing hardwood. Random fact: oily and HARD, to the point it was used to make shaft bearings in the first nuclear sub.

It'd be neat to get the salvage from the sub and make a knife out of it. Would have quite the history behind it.

Nathan, I may have missed it, but are you able to speak as to what knives we have coming down the pike in the future?

Nathan, I may have missed it, but are you able to speak as to what knives we have coming down the pike in the future?

The Competition Choppers are going to heat treat next week, the Behemoth Choppers and Heavy Duty Field Knives are on machines now, the next projects will be the Utility Fighters and the Field Knife 2.

Utility Fighters:eek:=YUUUUMMMMMMY:p 3 Please:D
Edit: Shouldn't be posting on this thread unless i have a question-SORRY! I was caught in the moment:(
Nathan are the UF's going to be offered in both single and Double-edge configuration?;)

Last edited:
The Competition Choppers are going to heat treat next week, the Behemoth Choppers and Heavy Duty Field Knives are on machines now, the next projects will be the Utility Fighters and the Field Knife 2.
Hell yes!!!!!! Now I guess I have to ask a question.....

I'd like to set up direct deposit with you guys and have 10% of my check diverted straight to you for the foreseeable future. Can we get that going?

Back