The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

When would you expect the Medium Chopper to be available again? I wasn't able to get one of the ones at Bladeshow.

End of year?

We do have a few from development we may finish out.

Dimensions are different, you would need a custom sheath.

Nate when are the UF and Shiv getting on the sched ? Thanks

The Shiv, probably not any time soon. We wanted to run the UF in 2018 but we're half way through the year now...

We'll run the Field Knife 2 and the 6" Utility Fighter after the current batch of HDFK are finished. We'll run MC and HC after the batch of BC are finished. A medium size knife and a chopper can run through here concurrently. We're in a lull now as we were building up inventory for Blade, replaced a machining center and are building pre-orders but we'll get back into full swing again by the end of summer.

Short answer: the FK2 and the UF are both on the schedule but won't start cutting chips for ~ two months.

Somewhere around here there is a video of Nathan's manufacturing process and it is extremely informative, and really amazing what the man can do with a set of machining equipment. I'm sure Nathan can expound on this, but I have to bet his approach would involve perfecting the convex or scani-grind on a machine and not a hand grind if he's going to do it on a production basis.

We'll run the Field Knife 2 and the 6" Utility Fighter after the current batch of HDFK are finished.

3cQ6qKo.png

...and HC after the batch of BC are finished.

Wait... HC ? I did not think that was going to go to production. Is it going to be the same as before?

Is there any chance a batch of Potato Knives and Skinners could make it in the schedule for 2019?

Is the desert ironwood still being worked with and will it be available to order?

Wait... HC ? I did not think that was going to go to production. Is it going to be the same as before?

Is there any chance a batch of Potato Knives and Skinners could make it in the schedule for 2019?

Is the desert ironwood still being worked with and will it be available to order?

The MC is based on the HC. Since the MC is going into production I'll offer the HC as an option on the pre-order. It's not a particularly reasonable knife, but some people want something indestructible and heavy. *shrug*

I may revisit the skinner and Potato knife at some point in the future but it's not on the schedule

The Iron Wood has stopped losing weight and is ready to use (it was already aged) so I'll use it on a run of EDC this year.

Nathan is this picture taken by the "Godfather" Mr. Betzner a preview of the upcoming UF release? Thanks
xlarge.jpg

No that's an old blank that I largely hand ground to have something interesting to take to the show. The new version will have chamfers and probably a few other tweaks.

Sure. For 500 I could skip the milled bevels and grind some convex by hand. That's a lot of coin for a Field Knife though?
For your extra time and care to make a convex FK2? I am willing to do $500. I have never bought anything from you before, but your skill is well known. Please tell me how to begin this process.

Back