The Avocet by Shing Custom Knives

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
Better known simply as Shing, Shing Chan is a well-established UK custom knife maker. Shing was born in Hong Kong, but grew up in Sheffield, and had an interest in knives from an early age. When he came to consider his career options though, the Sheffield cutlery industry was already in severe decline, and the few remaining firms were not taking on apprentices. Shing studied biochemistry at university, before going into research. He began making knives in 1995, and was eventually able to turn his hobby into a full-time job. He makes both folding and fixed-blade knives, as well as high performance chef and kitchen knives. Shing says, “ My goal is to make the best knives, using the most modern steels and other materials, in traditional and modern styles.” All Shing’s knives are entirely handmade, and he does his own heat-treatment, using a digitally-controlled kiln for the stainless steels he mainly works in.

I was recently sent one of Shing’s knives, the Avocet, by Paul Iseard at The Famous Sheffield Shop, and thought some of you might like a look at it.

The Shing Avocet is clearly a modern tactical folder, but with a classic look. The solid, wide, dagger-like blade profile, put me in mind of A.G. Russell’s iconic 70’s Boot Knife, The Sting, to some extent. Of course being a folder, in spite of its dagger-like appearance, the Avocet has only one actual cutting edge, with subtle hollow-grinds on both sides of the central spine. The 3mm thick blade is 3 ¼” long, and an inch across, with a very meaty tip, the blade has plenty of strength. The steel is Swedish RWL34 powder steel, hardened to RC60, with a liquid nitrogen quench.

The 4 ¼” handle of the knife is made from 6A14V titanium alloy, with a frame-lock, thumb-stud, and a pocket-clip set up for tip-up carry.

On my test-model, the thumb-stud was set up for right-hand use. It’s a good size, and the blade is effortlessly deployed, and closed, with one hand. As you would expect on a knife of this quality, the pivot has bronze bushes, and the action is extremely smooth. The lock interface is carbidized to reduce wear. Shing does the carbidizing himself using tungsten carbide.

This is my first custom with a pocket-clip. I often find them too tight or too loose on factory-made knives, but Shing seems to have got it just right on the Avocet.

Overall build quality is superb, and the knife is a joy to handle, and very pleasing aesthetically (I’m afraid my photos don’t do it justice). For those who like this style of knife, the Avocet is certainly worth a look. Shing also produces knives of a more traditional flavour. All his knives come with a lifetime guarantee.

The example shown isn't impressive from a aesthetic view but looking it over the craftsmanship does look fairly impressive.

Great review Jack Black Jack Black . How does the knife feel in the hand? The reason I ask is it looks very boxy so I was wondering how it feels after using it for a while. The craftsmanship look outstanding I really like the shape of the blade and materials used.
I’m really looking forward to hearing more after carrying it for some time.

I think it is kind of neat. Sometimes it is surprising how comfortable these designs are in hand. Not my style but neat nonetheless.

These ultra square knives are becoming quite in vogue.

20442a2c94d74bc09f99fa7fe7df1fc5_original.JPG

DSCN5309.jpg

DSCN5309.jpg

Back