1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Benchmade mini Ritter Grip conversion to Wharncliffe

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 16, 2015.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Thought this was interesting so wanted to post it up! Wharncliffes seem to cost more in general, unless you get a traditional. Anyway, had a customer wanted this M390 blade converted... turned our pretty well and sharp as a razor blade! Unfortunately, you do lose a little blade length but that's to be expected.

Here you can see where I marked it out:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here it is after! I also took some pics of the blade length closed so you can get an idea (Yes he wanted me to switch the scales out)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for looking =)

2. Rypper

Rypper

Dec 5, 2012
    Looks awesome!

3. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter

Jul 15, 2003
    It does look awesome, but stating " you do lose a little blade length" is disingenuous.

You lose a LOT of blade length. The customer seems ok with that, so cool.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

4. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Very nice! Adds some extra style and slicablity to the 558.

5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Yes it's about 1/4" and he was aware of this before I started =)

6. glocker199

glocker199

Mar 14, 2005
    I LOVE those grey scales!

7. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding

Feb 7, 2014
    Awesome work!

8. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    Excellent work Josh!
    I really like your new makers mark too, very nice.
    This would probably be even sweeter on the full size.
    Keep up the good work.

[​IMG]

9. jkarp_53

jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    Awesome grind, beautiful work!:thumbup:

10. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Looks awesome.The only thing that bothers me is when the blade is closed is the unsightly 45 degree bump near the end.I would round of the spine some to lessen the chances of it snagging something.

11. Elite_KG

Elite_KG Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nah, just drop the spine line to meet with the scales right at the 45 or make custom scales to match the blade. I would opt for the latter. The white/sand scales looked better to me.

12. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I love this! Outstanding job!!

13. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks guys =)

Yeah personally I agree about the white scales... I am gonna play around w/ coating some similar scales bright white w/ Cerakote and see how they hold up

14. SunsetFisherman

SunsetFisherman

Feb 4, 2012
    You should do this to a full size and see if it'll fit into some mini grip handles :eek:

15. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    You can't... Blade thicknesses differ by about .015" but that was a great idea! =)

16. SunsetFisherman

SunsetFisherman

Feb 4, 2012
    darn! that'd be legit

17. vinte77

vinte77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Would it work on custom mini grip scales with thicker standoffs to offset for the 0.15"? But I guess you would also need a longer pivot screw as well.

18. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter

Jul 15, 2003
    As a mini-grip Frankenstien mod, this would be INSANE....I have a highly placed friend at Benchmade, will send him this as a hyperlink.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson