1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The best flask on the market, which, where and how much?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Don Rearic, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    +1 more for the Nalgene flask.

2. jquinlan

jquinlan

Feb 15, 2006
    Hell, I don't mind a snootful every now and then. Getcha a plastic bottle of Yukon Jack or other whiskey that comes in a plastic bottle, and reuse it over and over and over. I've had mine for many years and it doesn't leak a drop. Metal flasks are too heavy, and Nalgene bottles are too expensive.

3. Munky88

Munky88

Jun 1, 2008
    +1 thank you, was surprised someone else didn't mention this. You're better off with soapy water for cleaning cuts, and open wounds. Which is no reason to not carry a flask. But don't plan on using it like that.

4. comoha

comoha

Jan 12, 2006
    I have this one from Sigg. Holds a bit more (.4 liters) than the common hip flask and has a top that can't get lost when the world gets fuzzy.

5. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    I've successfully used several metal flasks (like Coleman), as well as Nalgenes. I've also found that the factory plastic liquor bottles are quite tough. The lightest thing I've used is the Platypus "flask". It has never leaked or punctured after half a dozen 9-day backpacking trips. One advantage is that it stores flat and compact when empty.

DancesWithKnives

6. brians

brians

Apr 22, 2006
    Pint of the captain in the Nalgene for my fly fishing trip - hasn't spilled a drop in 2 years.

7. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK

Mar 2, 2008
    snow peak titanium flask....

8. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    I use the medium Dalvey.

9. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    dang im thinking about getting a Dalvey or Nalgene flask now:D

10. go2ndAmend

go2ndAmend

Mar 8, 2008
    I bought one from Campmor and it leaked everytime I used it. I thought it was a nalgene, but I can't remember.

11. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    where is a good place to get a Dalvey or Nalgene flask ?

12. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    Nalgene makes a smaller one. I bet the alcohol will do worse to your liver then whatever the BPA thing will do.

I use this guy

[​IMG]

13. sodak

sodak

Mar 26, 2004
    Here's to hoary nights! :D

14. Scott Free

Scott Free

Sep 15, 1999
    The Nalgene Flask (that others have recommended) holds 12 oz. and weighs almost nothing once use remove the hard plastic sleeve and cup. (There's a lower profile screw-on cap under the blue "shot glass.") Stripped of these unneeded extras, the flask weighs a mere 1.9 ounces, and carries comfortably in the front pockets of BDUs and Carharts. This is my everyday water bottle.

It's tough. It doesn't leak. It's made from PET, so it's safe for alcohol. Not quite a pint, though. Soft drink bottles are also made of PET so would also make a decent container for alcohol (and get you a pint.) Backpackers use the same soft drink bottle for months at a time. They're surprisingly tough. You'd want to be careful with packing it, though.

(The PET used for the Nalgene Flask is considerably thicker--and more durable--than is used for soft drinks.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  15. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
  16. stieg

stieg

Sep 7, 2002
  17. Any Cal.

Any Cal. Banned BANNED

Jan 1, 2006
    But I can say that if you put half a $50 bottle of single malt in one on a pack trip, it would be a good idea to make sure you have the lid on tight before you set it back down on it's side.:D Not that I would know anything about that, or the guy running around screaming and licking the bunk it was set on.:barf::D

18. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    Ouch!!!

One time I was going on a mountain trip on which some friends were riding and I was backpacking. I started a day ahead of them. They agreed to carry a few heavier items on their horses/mules. I didn't know they were going to let the pack station guys pack the gear. Those bastids managed to tap off about half of my friends' 151 proof rum. What saved me from prison was that the pack station guys didn't find the 20 year old MacCallan I had left for horse transport. Had that $125 scotch been touched, a bullet between the eyes would have been the only answer.

DancesWithKnives

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  19. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Where would I find a Sigg flask? My web searches have come up empty.

THANKS!