The best small throwers

Are there any decent small throwers? Something akin to bo-shuriken (straight simple thrown blades). Something around 4-5 inches long and accurate from 10-15 feet is what I had in mind.

thanks,

-Arcane

I can testify to the quality of the small Hibben thrower. Very nice indeed.

I have had all three sizes, and each is good in there own unique way. The large thrower is very heavy and can really make a mess of your target, due to it sinking in very deep upon impact. I went all the way through an American Ash log I suspended vertically over the course of one summer!

There are tools, like screw-drivers, that make better small throwers than most of the ones on the market. That's because the tools are heavier! Good small throwers are certainly possible to make, and sometimes you even find them. For example I have this integral boot knife that is only 6" long but it is a great thrower. That's because, as an integral, its reletively heavy.

Its pretty easy to make a small thrower that is heavy enough from any small piece of steel. Another option I've used is to take a commercial thrower - like the smallest Hibbens, and solder a small, flattened out, piece of lead (like a fishing sinker) to each side of the knife right at the center of gravity. That gives them a bit more mass. Another one I know lots of people like is just a simple piece of rebar cut to what ever length you like with a point filed at one (shuriken) or both (bo-shuriken) ends.

I too was thinking that small Gil Hibben throwers would be just the thing for you. I have a triple set of the small ones, and they are perfect for indoor throwing. But I also found that mine began to rust (small spots all over the blade) and there's no stopping it.
Also, local Business Depot stores (aka Staples) carry letter openers for about CDN$2 ea. These make great throwers as well, and don't damage targets too much either...
Just my 0.02 ($CDN :D LOL)

After looking around, I'm starting to think spikes of some sort would be more what I was looking for. More similar to the non-rotational throwing of bo-shuriken. Hmm.. Those hibbens look nice though.

As for rust, I would try using RemOil to prevent it in the future. It would mean you could only throw by the handle though.

-Arcane

Back