The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

An ebony 15 and a 5 cent piece from 1923

QY41NJo_d.jpg

Thought this would be a good spot to get some more posts in but it’s a boring post sorry it’s not some rare coin or knife...

This is my pocket knife while in the army and 30 years later I still have it...(god I can’t belive I said 30 years later omg)

It way beats the utensils we used in the field. Also is a “coin”, albeit you can’t spend it... and a coin you better have on you at the bar if someone yelled PFENING CHECK at the bar, If you’re the last one to get yours out and slap it on the table you pay for the next round and it wasn’t easy finding these at the time842D3764-D543-432D-89A7-338A30BF8C42.jpeg E207E710-D21E-4BA6-827B-F5EC44E45616.jpeg

I see the hole on the blade! Only kidding, very interesting knife I kind a like it.

Definitely not a one hand opener, that’s for sure. Side plate folders have been made by gunsmiths for a long time. The ultimate pair. A shotgun with engraved side plates and a matching folder.

Connecticut Shotgun manufacturing Co. is world renown for their A10 shotguns and the accessories of Galazan. These side plates are smaller versions of the A10 side plates turned into folders.

DSC_2579.jpg

Last edited:
GEC #85 (thanks, Paul) and a folder I got 55-60 years ago for collecting Lincoln head cents 1909-1940:
iewnFXw.jpg

- GT
Cool!
My brother in law has a old cardboard tube with a tin lid that's got at least 1 penny for every year from 1909 until now. .Has multiples for quite a few years, he watches his change close for wheaties to add, plus there's a few of Indian heads.

AE38FA90-CFA2-4FC7-9F2F-2ADE37845DC5.jpeg Ok maybe not the best knife... no I haven’t used it... kinda seems odd but this was a gift from my brother and I am told it’s a limited edition desert cruiser for operation Iraqi freedom certified.... as printed on blade, sent it to CRKT. As was told it’s the cleanest one they’ve seen come in for them to verify as real. I still have the original box and papers too.

He got it for me but forgot I was in desert shield/ storm.

As for the coin it’s dirty as sin from getting around in my pockets for years.., it’s a cut coin... all the background is gone.. most of the letter are caked in with dirt, lint, sweat etc... god knows what else

So for those who’d like to know:
BF657C22-8152-48DD-B562-A38763EC727F.jpeg
Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

Basically you can deface and whatever as long as you’re not trying to make a penny into a dime to use as a dime... or make another type of coin into something that would used as a different denomination

View attachment 939460 Ok maybe not the best knife... no I haven’t used it... kinda seems odd but this was a gift from my brother and I am told it’s a limited edition desert cruiser for operation Iraqi freedom certified.... as printed on blade, sent it to CRKT. As was told it’s the cleanest one they’ve seen come in for them to verify as real. I still have the original box and papers too.

He got it for me but forgot I was in desert shield/ storm.

As for the coin it’s dirty as sin from getting around in my pockets for years.., it’s a cut coin... all the background is gone.. most of the letter are caked in with dirt, lint, sweat etc... god knows what else

So for those who’d like to know:
View attachment 939461
Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

Basically you can deface and whatever as long as you’re not trying to make a penny into a dime to use as a dime... or make another type of coin into something that would used as a different denomination

Nice knife, though not traditional by our definition. I'll leave the post as a tribute to those that were part of that operation. I've edited the title to make sure that folks know what type of knives to post in the future.

Back