The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

I don't know the first thing about coin collecting other than that my meager accumulation is pretty much worthless in the collector's realm. I just thought it would be neat to have a coin or two that matches the country that some of my knife collection originated from.

PXL_20221022_223840095~2.jpg

implCji.jpg

aiTjTKj.jpg

Well, not only is that a very handsome looking bullnose, but you might also be responsible for my carrying a coin. My grandmother has given me a few pretty sweet really old US silver dollars. The oldest one I have is from 1881.
Much appreciated :thumbsup: The simplicity & toughness of the Bullnose makes it appealing as a workhorse or a collectible, innately suited to the hand - other like most Laguioles.

Let's see those silver Dollars, coins are often works of art in themselves :cool:

Thanks, Will

Much appreciated :thumbsup: The simplicity & toughness of the Bullnose makes it appealing as a workhorse or a collectible, innately suited to the hand - other like most Laguioles.

Let's see those silver Dollars, coins are often works of art in themselves :cool:

Thanks, Will
Don't mind if I do!

From left to right we've got the 1881, a 1921 (those two with the same countenance), and then a 1922 silver dollar. I've had a couple others that I've given away to folks from 1921/22. And then a lil' 1961 Ben Franklin half dollar over there to boot. They're all silver minted. In keeping with my tinkering ways I might grab some liver of sulphur and put an antique patina on them so they won't take that yellow tarnish.

PXL_20230701_015531731~2.jpg

This is from my post today for what are totin, a $20 gold coin. When my father in law passed fifteen or so years ago we inherited some very nice gold and silver coins. A handful date back to the early 1800s. We almost let them go in a lot when we were selling off things from his estate. I remember picking up a shoe box and telling my bride that this feels awfully heavy. Upon further inspection there was it was filled with mostly gold and silver coins worth about 20 to 25k. Whew we got lucky! 😀View attachment 2236899

This is from my post today for what are totin, a $20 gold coin. When my father in law passed fifteen or so years ago we inherited some very nice gold and silver coins. A handful date back to the early 1800s. We almost let them go in a lot when we were selling off things from his estate. I remember picking up a shoe box and telling my bride that this feels awfully heavy. Upon further inspection there was it was filled with mostly gold and silver coins worth about 20 to 25k. Whew we got lucky! 😀View attachment 2236899
I think that counts as finding a box of hidden treasures

traumkommode traumkommode If you're thinking of collecting coins in the future, you should avoid putting any 'treatments' on them that give them patina or cleaning them, it destroys the value. That yellow colour on an UNC coin is more like bloom.

My 1897 P Barber half dollar from back when I collected coins. One of the few I have left, kept it because it was a pretty nice find in a pile of Junk silver and although not particularly rare it's a higher grade. Probably a Extra fine plus I like the patina. Pictured with one of my sought after GECs the OKCA 88 beaver.
barber.jpg

Last edited:
Back