1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The cracked eye

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by muleman77, May 14, 2018.

1. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    Pretty common thing, really. There are lots of otherwise nice heads around with them. Not going to pay for the privelege of fixing one but i get em thrown in buying other stuff sometimes. I've fixed quite a few, and had good luck. This one is going to be another axe for the chainsaw falling lineup.

Nothing high tech about it. On this poor old woodslasher, I used an oxy acetylene torch to weld, a wet rag and dribbling hose to keep the bit cool, and an angle grinder to clean it up.

Theres two cracks here, and the top of the eye was pretty beat up. It's also been slightly deformed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clean up the top a little first
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grind out the cracks, and shine up the bit to see if any change in temper occurs[​IMG]

Wrap an old t shirt around, held with wire.
    I just set a hose on top of the rag, at a dribble to keep it constantly wetting.
    [​IMG]

Welded
    [​IMG]

Clearly no issues overheating the bit[​IMG]

Clean up time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres a thin spot here I don't like
    [​IMG]

So I wrapped it again and touched it up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A coat of paint
    [​IMG]

Putting it on a strait 26", a fallers axe. I use that setup a lot.
    [​IMG]

Will the repair hold for the wedging? It looks fine but you dont know for sure until you hang it. Drove it pretty tight, as you can see by the shape.
    [​IMG]
    Looks just fine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tennesee makes a nice handle, but thick. Suits this job well enough as it is though.
    Aren't those fatwood wedges a beautiful sight :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to knock a few wedges and bump some knots ;)

2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for showing the process. :thumbsup:

Stelth, Miller '72 and muleman77 like this.
  3. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    You are very talented. Thanks for the step-by-step pictures and description.

Miller '72 and muleman77 like this.
  4. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Excellent walk thru @mulemann77

Great end result!

Thank you

Stelth and jake pogg like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Excellent work.

Stelth and muleman77 like this.
  6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Good job Muleman. I like the paint also. The nicest vintage heads I have found were protected by paint.:thumbsup:

7. Drum4fun

Drum4fun

Mar 21, 2018
    Muleman77...
    Very nice professional work and outcome. I was just wondering , do you have any concern
    about microfractures ? thanks.

Charles

muleman77 likes this.
  8. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    Well, it's possible. My welding skills are certainly in the middle of the road. I have fixed about 8 or 10 similarly and they have not failed up to now.

An eye that was a little to hard will be softened by the process, that's a plus.

I guess the bottom line is it's better than what it was. We're not talking aircraft or high pressure gas lines here. If one should crack, I'll fix it again!
    :)

9. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Nicely Done.....

muleman77 likes this.
  10. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    That turned out quite nicely.

muleman77 likes this.