The Deal of the Century!

wire edge

Gold Member
All of us like to get a good deal now and then. Once in a while we find ourselves at gun shows and leave delighted with our "find". Well, let me tell you a short story about the "Deal of the Century".

I decided to get up early and go to a very small, rural type of gun and knife show. Being in Indiana, this is pretty much the norm. I gathered my trading stock and off I went into the wild blue yonder.

Upon ariving at the show I spied the usual military surplus, shotguns, full metal jacket surplus ammo, etc. Very little knives, and of those few, even less were of mediocre quality. Then, in front of my wandering eyes should appear, a freakin Darrel Ralph Apogee in carbon fiber and Kalguarded 420V! As you can probably imagine, I was a little taken back and had to actually fondle the knife to prove to myself that it wasn't a Paki-Crappy (thank you Big Wave Dave for this descriptive phrase). It was the real thing.

Now comes the good part. I conversed with said show goer for a short time and decided to lay it all on the line and see if he was willing to trade. Keep in mind I had a Cold Steel El Vaquero and a Cold Steel Gunsite in new condition. After he thought about the whole scenerio for a short while, the words that came out of his mouth nearly floored me. I won't tell you exactly how much, but put it this way, two (2) Cold Steels and a supplimental dollar amount of less than a "Benjamin". Only Big Wave Dave, the Show Goer and myself actually know the actual amounts, but it was certainly, MY DEAL OF THE CENTURY !!

Now, tell me about your real life deals, I'd love to hear them.

Yesterday morning while "searching" for some Satin Commanders I run into an old partner of mine. We start to talk knives and tell him that I am "hooked" on Camillus EDC's. I have the 420 version, and plans for the 154-CM, the 154-CM "Anniversary", the Talonite and the new 5.5 Maxx.
He says he has a NIB "Anniversary" that is just too small for his Roast beef sized hands. He says "$30.00 Bucks. I say DEAL. I now have my 420 version, My NEW Anniversary Edition" and I call this One "SWEET" Deal:D :D :D :)

Well,I was at this rural gun show and some guy named ROGER beat me out of a Darrel Ralph Apogee but I got a great deal on some Cold Steel knives and got $ to boot! Just kidding.You are lucky you saw that BEFORE I did,you dirty dawg!!! :D Big Wave Dave OUT

I'd been looking for a Peter marker Maxi. He's so busy that he's not taking any custom orders anymore and doesn'y even have a waiting list. So I kept watching e-bay and all the knife boards hoping one would come up. Right around Christmas I got an e-mail from Peter saying he had a few Maxi's sitting on the shelf gathering dust and would I be interested.

To make a long story short I ended up with a Maxi, grey G-10 scales for US $115.00. Just made my Christmas.

standard.jpg

At the Indy 1500 gun and knife show last year, I saw a Chris Reeve Shadow IV on somebody's table. The knife was in probably 99% condition, with maybe a carry mark on the handle. I didnt know what to do, since I did not have anywhere near what they cost new, so I offered the guy all I had($100). The guy took it and handed me the Shadow IV.

Wire Edge, you better hope the guy that you traded with never gets into Bladeforums or starts reading knife magazines or else he will be tempted to use that Gunsite folder on your a$$!:D :cool: ;)

Once upon a time,fellow forumite,Tom Carey and I met at a gun and knife show in the St.Louis area.He and his dad had a table at the show and we spent the day hanging out talking knives,guns and the fairer sex.You know,manly stuff.Anyway,Tom had a Speedtech Synergy IPO he was selling.I was eye balling that knife all day.I guess he really wanted to sell that thing but I didn`t quite have the money for it.Finally,he say`s "Tell ya what,you buy the Speedtech and I`ll throw in a CRKT M16-04 for $20 and you can send me the rest when you get it".How could I resist?I bought the Speedtech on time and scored the CRKT practically for free!You know what?I`ve long ago traded the Speedtech but I`ve still got that CRKT.Thanks Tom!

Hey Anthony Cheeseboro,

When I talked to the gentleman in question, I asked if he ever got on the Forums and chatted with the guys. He had heard of it, but said he wasn't really into "chat rooms", and he didn't have the time anyhow.

Notice, I did not divulge all of the details, and those that do know have taken a blood oath! Besides, both parties left happy, and that's what really matters. Am I right? Don't answer that.

Wire Edge,just in case you couldn't tell, I was joking with you. I can't blame you for taking a guy up on a great deal. :)

Last year at Blade I picked up a Barry Wood folder (Mk II, drop point, polished blade, black micarta inserts) for $250 within the first few minutes of the show. Later that day I asked a gentleman who was selling nothing but Woods what he thought it was worth. He said $450. Last I saw on Ebay or in my Cutting Edge (can't remember which) I think similar knives were going for between $500 and $600.

That was my deal of the century.

-Al-

Back