The Dental Surgery ..Toothpicks only.

I've always liked the looks of toothpicks, but the ones in the hardware store display always had just a few too many fit-and-finish issues for me to buy one. This thread has pushed me over the edge, though. I went looking around online, and found that there are still a handful of brand-new GEC toothpicks at some dealers. (Well, now there's one less.)

I am delighted - this has been my EDC for the last few days, and is likely to be for a long time to come. What surprised me was how ergonomic the grip is - the shape of the spring-side of the grip is remarkably similar to the modern Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. I love barlows and jack knives, but it's hard to imagine going back at this point. :) The blade shape is great, the grind is excellent, and I'm enjoying putting a patina on it. It is not perfect (what is?) but it's as well-made as any knife I've ever owned.

Here it is in it's first use - cutting up the very last of the serrano peppers from our garden.
GECToothpickFIrstUse.jpg

-Tyson

Does anyone know alot about the history of the toothpick pattern knives? I've read some conflicting information about when they started being made, some say early 1900s but I've also read they were a Spanish design that goes back farther like the navaja. Any info would be great! I've got a northfield in ponycut jig bone thats got the best jigging out of any gec I own, I'll post a pic when I get a chance!

I've read about three different origin stories. Don't believe a one. The one I think is cutest is that it's a southern or southwest knife since I've seen more in the Northeast. Some, like my NYC elders, call them fishing knives.

I've read about three different origin stories. Don't believe a one. The one I think is cutest is that it's a southern or southwest knife since I've seen more in the Northeast. Some, like my NYC elders, call them fishing knives.
I was hoping that someone would have pictures of old catalogs or something that would clear everything up but it doesnt look like that'll happen. I also heard that story about them starting as fishing knives and I've seen some pretty old toothpicks with a "scaler" as a second blade, there might be some truth to it.

Toothpicks do have an intriguing history, don't they? It's fascinating how something as simple as a toothpick can have such a diverse range of designs and origins. Personally, I've always been curious about their history too.
If you're interested in dental-related topics and the stories behind dental tools like toothpicks, you might find some engaging reads on https://meetmydentist.com/blog/. It's not only a great resource for dental health but also for exploring the intriguing world of dental tools and their evolution. Who knows, you might discover some interesting insights about toothpicks and their heritage there!

Last edited:
Levine's Guide to Knives 4th Edition states, "The Tickler Is the American clasp knife pattern that looks most like the southern European clasp knife or navaja... The American-made tickler seems to have been introduced in the 1890s... The fish knife version of the tickler seem to date from the 1920s."

Other than that, I just know I enjoy both of mine (see post #7). I've gotten about 50 years of regular use (removing hooks, cutting line and bait, opening bottles and cleaning the catch) out of this now retired Imperial Fish Knife. BTW it doesn't have to be retired it's still razor sharp has good snap and no blade wobble.

o9JvFrc.jpg

Back