The Design of the AFCK?

Mr. Caracci
First let me say it is a pleasure.
Secondly, I have two questions I would like to ask about your experiences w/ Benchmade.
What is your theory behind the design features of the AFCK?
What would the AFCK have been had Benchmade not compromised your original design?

I ask these questions as a longtime fan of the AFCK, as produced.
Thank you again for your time, and I hope you know what you got yourself into here (lots of questions);)

I would also like to hear more about what went into this design. Also... how does the Mini-AFCK fit into this? Was that your design also or did BM take liberties and just turn out a smaller version of the AFCK. Is the Mini-AFCK an effective tool for the urban jungle in your view?

Thanks in advance for your response...JT

Did you fellas ever see the one Benchmade "Knife of The Month" that featured aluminum scales on the AFCK instead of G10? Man, they were a fugly, mottled green color, but what a confident knife in the hand. It was great. I owned the G10 version and sold it, and I just missed having the one I am describing. It was an awesome piece.

Don,
I saw a few of those knives, nobody wanted them at the shop because, like you said, they're fugly.

Your right about the feel, perhaps a little slick when sweaty, for me. But with your grip, an oiled-up glass rod wouldn't slip.

I'll check it out for ya.

-Seth

That's the one! It is a very cool knife and the AFCK is a very slick opener to begin with...but the one that I inspected had a polished liner. I think they may all be like that, I don't know about BMs assembly of knives that are "Specials," but the one that I was looking at was most certainly buffed and polished and smooth as silk.

I regret not getting it, by the time I changed my mind about the appearance, it was gone.

Now, I think there is a place for Yuppieflage™, just like my Multi-Colored and even fuglier Kershaw Boa.

It was the May 2000 KOTM if I recall correctly and you bozos got no TASTE!
I thought the green and black anodizing was friggin beautiful and still regret not picking one up.
:D

Some people's kids.
DAMN but that was a pretty knife!

Thought y'all might like to see this. Forumite roguesoul posted a pic awhile back of his KOTM AFCK. He replaced the partially serrated satin blade with a plain edge in M2. Pretty slick.
Took a minute to find the thread and crop the pic, but here it is. I think the black blade really complements those handles.

You won't believe it but here is the truth.
In the mid eighties I was given a spyderco police model by a dear friend of mine in the D.C. area.
He is quite an accomplished Martial Artist and 32 year law enforcement veteran with Prince George County Sheriff Office. We had many a discussion about the knife and wanted to see some changes. We talked to people at spyderco but no one seemed interested. During the course of these conversations and ordering many knives for my students, I got to know the presidents executive seceratary, a wonderful lady who I later met at some of the shows.
One day she told me that she was being fired. She was told it was because she told me where the knives where being blackened and some other trumped up issues. This lady was a little older than middle aged as I remember, and as sweet as one's mother. I was so angry, I now had the motivation I needed to make a statement to that company, so I decided to make the knife my friend and I talked about, but it certainly would not be with spyderco. It took three years but it happened.
Bottom line is if your a jerk to my friends than your a jerk to me and I have no problem helping Karma along the way.
That was not the first time I helped the big “K” and I am sure it won't be the last.

As to the design, well you take a police model change the lock to something more tactical make the blade a flat grind, cut out the finger groove on the liner lock and add an index finger groove. Put on G10 scales for better grip and thats it. The best thing about the police model was the angle of the blade in relation to the handle. In reference to what changes were not made on the AFCK that I wanted, the outside bevels on the scales were to be sharper so that one would have the feel of a thinner knife. Everything else was about right.

OwenM, thanks for that pic, that's a beautiful mod to that AFCK-KOTM! Very purty.

I don't have an AFCK, but I have the "cheaper, FRN lockback version," the 840 Ascent. It was my first Benchmade, and I guess I still like it. Had to go from a "flat of the blade parallel to the ground" grip on my Endura to a straight saber grip (blade perpindicular to ground) on the Ascent. Otherwise, it felt really weird.

CJ, how do you feel about the Ascent and am I correct in describing it as the "cheaper lockback version" of the AFCK?

I know from your posts here you don't seem to like lockbacks. (It's my favorite lock!) I HAVE experienced some inadvertant rocker squeezing with my Native. The "Boye dent" seems like it will solve most of those problems, though. My perspective so far is each individual will have to try each knife in as many "work" and "combat stress" holds as possible to find any weaknesses. Anyways I appreciate your forum here and your comments, whether I agree with them or not. Believe me, I am "on notice" to re-examine my favorite lock design and how I use it. Gotta get heavier cardboard, some more realistic targets, etc. And hope I don't slice any fingers off...

Well, thanks mainly to Don Rearic, I HAVE been hankering for a waved Commander lately...:D

Yers,

Karl

Fascinating, and sad.
I love the design, but would never had guessed it's ancestor.
Its sad to hear of so much strife, both then and now, amongst members of the knife community.
Thank you Mr. Caracci.

ag has a few left i think,of the KOTM's. call him and ask.

*i am not in any way affiliated with ag russell,other than the fact that i have blown WAY too many paychecks up there*

A.G. Russell has 59 of the March 2000 KOTM Benchmade AFCK's in stock. Price including USPS Priority shipping is $128.90

:D Thanks, CJ. So far so good!

I'll let you know if I lop any fingers off. :p

And possibly post a pic!

(Maybe lockbacks are my way of living dangerously?)

Not fingerless...yet,

Karl

Back