The Dickin Medal

Dogs are so great. Mans best friend!!!

Could they not name it something other than the Dickin medal? haha

220px-Dickin_Medal.jpg

from Wikipedia

I just finished a book about Sgt Reckless. A horse with quite a history in the Army. He was used to transport artillery shells in Korea. Was wounded several times and got to where he didn't even have to be led, they would load him up and he'd just know where he had to go. Steep difficult terrain, save a lot of work for the Guys.

Guess he has a special resting place in Camp Pendleton, they actually shipped him home from Korea where he was born and he lived a full life on the base, sired a couple colts too.

Awesome! I wonder what the story behind the cat that got a medal was? I cant imagine? They use rats in Cambodia to sniff out mines. It pretty funny looking watching them run around on a leash sniffing out stuff.

Last edited:
I have a dog. I like dogs. I would not call myself a "dog person" but lately the stories of these K9 heroes of the Armed Forces and law Enforcement have really caused an allergic reaction in my eyes and throat. I just DVR'd an HBO show called War Dogs: A Soldiers best friend. If you can watch that and maintain the bass in your voice throughout, you are one stoic sumovabish.

If you get a chance watch Megan Leavey. True story about a ordinance detection dog with Kate Mara as the Handler.
Watched it for the second time yesterday. Good movie.

:) pouch rats look kinda cute.

reminds me of the soldiers in korea (or vietnam, iraq, afghanistan,africa, balkans, etc.) meeting a farmer walking along the path with his wife walking subserviently behind, the tides of war flowed and ebbed, months later, the soldiers were in the same area, having reclaimed it from the enemy, they saw the same pair walking down the path, this time the wife walked in front of her husband. the sgt. remarked to the farmer that he was glad to see the farmer had put aside the age old customs and was treating his wife with affirmative action as an equal. he asked him what had made him change his attitudes. the farmer replied in two words. "land mines".
landmine.jpg

terrorists.jpg

Last edited:
Back